If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is cq32uk!

cq32uk Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited August 2023 in Start here and say hello!
Hi there. I was looking for advice around disability facilities grants for a walk in shower or wetroom as my Local Authority has said I have failed the means test and will have to contribute £19,000! I live in a housing association semi detached house with no housing benefit.The HA ( Orbit) have said there are no plans to replenish bathrooms in my area and offer no help despite the Occupational Health visitor sending a letter re my needs.
I am on contributions based ESA, earn approx £400 per month self employed from a PT job ( cannot always work because of disability flare ups) and student finance of £9000 annually and get PIP both at standard rate.  So my income is approximately £19,000 before tax. And I can't afford to do the job myself. My mum lives with me but isn't on the tenancy and she cannot access the bath or shower over bath either.

 Any advice gratefully accepted! 


  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    A warm welcome @cq32uk. It is great to see you have joined us. The only thing I can think of is to find out what the means threshold is.

    From there, if you don't earn the maximum amount of money, you can appeal the decision. You can show evidence regarding all your forms of income (and usually bank balances currently).

    This evidence can be used to demonstrate why you do not feel you meet this threshold and need support with it financially. Therefore, the local authority should be able to re-consider their decision.

    Please do not hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you. We are all here for you and listening to you at the very least  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

    Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.