Reasonable adjustments query — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Reasonable adjustments query

Options
123Baxter
123Baxter Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited August 2023 in Work and employment
Hi, I have A health condition that effects my lungs. I have asked my work to make reasonable adjustments via a manager and HR. The adjustments where verbally agreed.  Then this week I had to attend on online meeting. There was me and 3 managers who basically told me I had to do the jobs that we originally agreed I wasn't physically able to do?
Any advice please 

Comments

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 489 Pioneering
    Options

Hello Baxter123! 

In your case, you've requested reasonable adjustments, and they were verbally agreed upon. Reasonable adjustments are changes or adaptations to your work or working environment that help you overcome any disadvantage caused by your health condition. If your employer agreed to these adjustments but later reneged on their commitment during the online meeting, it could be considered disability discrimination. 

Send an email to the managers who were present in the meeting, thanking them for the discussion but also reiterating what was previously agreed upon regarding the reasonable adjustments. Politely remind them of their commitment to providing these adjustments. 

Reach out to your HR department  and inform them about what happened during the online meeting. Explain that you had previously agreed upon reasonable adjustments, and there seems to be a discrepancy in implementing them. 

If informal discussions with HR and management do not resolve the issue, you may need to raise a formal grievance within your company. This will trigger an internal investigation into your complaint. 

Before taking the matter to an employment tribunal, it is generally required to contact the Advisory, Conciliation, and Arbitration Service (Acas) for early conciliation. Acas provides an opportunity to resolve the dispute through mediation before going to court. 

Remember, the Equality Act 2010 protects you from discrimination and requires your employer to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate your health condition, as long as it doesn't cause undue hardship for the business. If you feel that your employer is not complying with the law, seek professional legal advice to understand your rights and how to proceed. 

I genuinely empathise with your situation. Just two years ago, I went through a comparable tough phase when I spent an entire month in the hospital, fighting for my life. After finally being discharged, I faced another two months of hardship trying to hold onto my job.  I have incurable cancer, and the treatment took a toll on my heart, leading to heart failure. Despite this challenging situation, my company, where I had been a loyal employee for many years, wanted to retire me early to make way for a healthier, younger individual. However, I decided to take matters into my own hands and fought the case on my own, ultimately managing to retain my employment.

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @123Baxter

Welcome to the community! :) I see MW123 has given some great advice. 

I wanted to comment and check in to see if there was any updates to the situation? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 123Baxter
    123Baxter Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    I had to make an official complaint. They are now sending me for another Occupational Health assessment. I'm hoping things will improve now. Unfortunately not due to the fact that I have a disability but more to do with the fact that I made an official complaint.  Attitudes towards me have improved. The reasonable adjustments are still an issue as they keep giving me jobs they know I can't do but I'm putting this down to lack of communication throughout the organisation. 
    I appreciate your reaching out.

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad the ball is rolling. Unfortunate that it was putting in a complaint that did it! 

Hopefully it will improve with the reasonable adjustments :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Wibbles
    Wibbles Community member Posts: 1,605 Pioneering
    edited August 2023
    Options
    You might like to get Access to Work involved - they will supply equipment to help you at work
    Chairs, IT equipment etc etc
    at no cost to yourself

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.