Is it time to reach out to someone? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is it time to reach out to someone?

Options
MPowell_1991
MPowell_1991 Community member Posts: 83 Courageous
Good morning everyone! I just wanted to reach out and say hello and to see how you are all doing?

I've been facing some challenging times very recently, my parents are getting elderly and situations are rather tricky at the moment. (I appreciate that's vauge but I'm still trying to process everything that's happened because so much has changed in such a short space of time)

Anyway, knowing how much I'm struggling brings me to the purpose of why I'm posting this - to enable everyone to have a safe space to reach out, no matter what the issue.

Reach out if you need too.

Regards 
Michael 

Comments

• surfygoose
    surfygoose Community member Posts: 437 Pioneering
    Options
    Sorry to hear you’ve been having a challenging time. Hope things settle down for you. It’s good of you to still be reaching out and helping on so many people’s posts today even though you’ve had a hard time yourself. I often think about when my parents get elderly too. Wish parent’s could stay young forever!
  • MPowell_1991
    MPowell_1991 Community member Posts: 83 Courageous
    Options
    @surfygoose I enjoy helping others, it gives me a sense of purpose. 

Definitely, I've recently become a parent myself, I'm lucky to have been loved and supported for so long, I would love nothing more than to support them but it's difficult with my own physical difficulties and being in a wheelchair I'm limited to the support I'm able to offer sadly. 

How are things with you?
  • surfygoose
    surfygoose Community member Posts: 437 Pioneering
    Options
    I’ll feel the same way when my parents are older because I will help in what ways I can but like you there would be limits to what I’m capable of, but I think our parents are all happy knowing we love them and they feel the support in that anyway.

I’m like you, I like helping people. I like doing talks and training days for staff to help them help people better, and doing campaigning work.

I’m ok thanks. I’m getting settled in my new care home. I’m on my 3 night visit and next week I’m doing 5 nights and then another 3 nights and then I move in on 15th August. I like it here. Yesterday I did drawing and colouring, karaoke and I did my paperwork I do for my job. Also I made banana cakes. I did karaoke and dance this morning and my laundry. This afternoon we are going to the cinema and dinner out. Tomorrow morning they’re taking me to the library to choose some new books and return my old ones. Then e are going to the pub after lunch. I like it that they print my timetable out for me.

How old is your child? I like children. My friends have a little girl and a little boy. I like it when I go and stay with them and I can play with the children. Their little girl has a go in her daddy’s wheelchair and she looks so funny being so tiny but she’s very good at it. He asked me to bring his electric wheelchair to him and I ran over my foot!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.