College, autism and LCWRA

Emmajay
Emmajay Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My son has autism, he's 21 and has been on universal credit since February. He got a job as a security guard but he just couldn't do it. He cannot comfortably communicate for that long with strangers and it causes alot of anxiety.  He literally ran away from the job. He's very clever and wants to go back to college to go to university. He's just been referred for LCWRA for universal credit.  College make reasonable adjustments because he has a educational health care plan. Would he get universal credit at college? He also get pip enhanced rate.

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,925 Championing
    I would just like to say a warm welcome @Emmajay. You have done really well to reach out to us. I appreciate how much courage this can take, especially when you are new.

How are you both coping with your son losing his job? The Government outlines the following about students' eligibility for universal credit.

I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to help though or if you have any follow-up questions etc  :)
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,883 Championing
    Unless he receives a decision on his capability to work prior to starting college, his UC will stop. Students and benefits don't 'mix' well.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 59,145 Championing
    edited July 2023
    If he does happen to get a decision on the WCA before he starts and found to have either LCW or LCWRA (the UC will continue if either of those are awarded) if there's a maintenance loan available to him it will affect his UC, even if he decides not to take that loan. Once he starts college he must report a change of circumstances and tell them.