Discretionary Housing Payment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Discretionary Housing Payment

Options
Natureico
Natureico Scope Member Posts: 29 Connected
Anybody else think the Discretionary Housing Payment ( DHP) is a bit of a hit and a miss ?

Their website says you can get help with the Bedroom Tax, Housing Benefit shortfall, moving house etc, and no doubt you can after a rigorous means test by the DHP team.

My main concern with it, is that there is a distinct lack of transparency, accountability and openness about the criteria that must be reached to qualify for a DHP payment, and the decision making process is shrouded in secrecy with the very minimum and briefest of explanations from the DHP office, if you fail with your application.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,672 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's called a Discretionary payment because it's exactly that "discretionary" no one is guaranteed that extra help. If you are awarded then it's always for a short period of time before you need to reapply. Yes, the forms are also very complex because they want to know everything and exactly what you spend your money on. I remember applying for one quite a few years ago and i had to get help filling out the forms.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Natureico
    Options
    It's called a Discretionary payment because it's exactly that "discretionary" no one is guaranteed that extra help. If you are awarded then it's always for a short period of time before you need to reapply. Yes, the forms are also very complex because they want to know everything and exactly what you spend your money on. I remember applying for one quite a few years ago and i had to get help filling out the forms.
    Yes it is that " Discretionary " and I have no doubt these payments are very helpful to many in need.
    Still, I think the " Threshold " for qualification could be more black and white, and fuller and more detailed explanations could be given to failed applicants.

It's all very curt and lacking in substance.
  • Natureico
    Options
    Yes it is that " Discretionary " and I have no doubt these payments are very helpful to many in need.
    Still, I think the " Threshold " for qualification could be more black and white, and fuller and more detailed explanations could be given to failed applicants.

It's all very curt and lacking in substance to my mind.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.