Self-employed working disabled but migration from WTC to UC wants a note saying I can't work? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Self-employed working disabled but migration from WTC to UC wants a note saying I can't work?

Azukker Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi all,

I'm in a bit of confusion - I'm disabled (bedbound), but manage to work for myself, doing computer work, and have for years - I don't earn huge amounts and so got working tax credits & the disabled element top-up.  I've now been told to migrate to UC.

On initial application to UC, and explaining things in the "journal" - I've been told I need to provide a "fit note" - which from what I can gather online, is a sick note basically saying I can't work.  I want to check I'm not in a catch-22 situation, or shooting myself in the foot in other ways here - because I do work, I am working, for myself, from my bed.  I'm not incapable of work, I've been managing from my bed for years - and my doctor knows this full well!

(I get PIP too, but apparently this is irrelevant).

I asked to double-check via the journal "Just to confirm, you want me to provide a fit note stating I'm unable to work, to help my low income I get from working?" and was told yes.

I wanted some re-assurances here first, if people could please - or perhaps I've just mis-understood the meaning of a "fit note" and it's not really saying I can't actually work.

Thanks in advance.



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.