Hi, my name is Jadex! looking for advice on my housing application please. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Jadex! looking for advice on my housing application please.

Options
Jadex
Jadex Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited September 2023 in Housing and independent living
Hi I’m Jade looking for advice on my housing application please.
I’m in a 1 bedroom flat and I have mental health disability receive pip LCWRA uc and my mum and dad take it in turns in caring for me. (Doing my shopping cleaning encouraging me with eating and washing.)
When I’m in a really low mood and need full supervision because of my suicidal thoughts and what could happen my dad will stay overnight.
My mum can’t stay overnight as she also is a cater for my disabled sister and needs to be with her in the night so my dad does. 
My dad does not live with me as he has his own 1 bedroom flat and works full time so he does not claim carers allowance as I’m not sure if he will be eligible to do so because of his high earnings. Worst case scenario if he is at work and can’t get to me my mum will be with me but more then often my dad will have to call in sick at work because he needs to look after me which they understand.
I am in the process of filling in my medical housing application to be moved to a suitable accommodation which asks if an overnight carer stays and if so I may be entitled to an additional bedroom. I would like to know if I put him down as my overnight carer sometimes will this effect his own housing? He does not live with me just stays if I need full supervision. 
Would I need to tell universal credit I have an overnight carer sometimes depending on my mental state I have been advised you do not need if the person is not living with you.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,699 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As you're claiming PIP if you need regular overnight care then you can claim an extra bedroom. You can tell UC and it will be down to a decision maker to make the final decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jadex
    Options
    Is 1 or 2 days a week classed as regular overnight care?
    I’m only just filling in a medical housing assessment so if I was accepted and for example offered a 2 bed property instead of another 1 bed, would I then need to tell UC? 
  • Jadex
    Options
    I’m in a 1 bed council property and do not have an extra bedroom yet so my question is do I need to tell UC now or when and if I’m offered a 2 bed. 
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,439 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @Jadex I just wanted to check in, to see if you were able to get the answers you were looking for regarding UC? 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.