ESA reassessment deferred — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA reassessment deferred

Options
sh88
sh88 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
So I called DWP as my review prognosis date has been and I’ve not heard anything.. when I called much to my surprise I was told my review date has now been set to aug 2025. Has anyone else had this ? I’m in the support group and claiming CB.

The woman was nice but it’s just set my anxiety racing as she said oh it could be a typo as I do have infront of me you were awarded for 12 months , but I’ve checked another system and you there’s no referral for a medical to be done.. she assured me with Covid it could may have be extended as there’s a backlog of reassessments etc. 

I just feel so stressed and am looking for some reassurance. I’m now worried incase that call now triggers anything. I hate all this unknown and uncertainty, it’s so distressing I’ve cried all afternoon. 
Tagged:

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Re-assessments have been suspended for a long time and have only recently started back up for certain claims, you don't need to worry as it's very unlikely you'll be contacted any time soon and that may be a few years yet. When you phone any DWP benefit you are actually speaking to an outsourced call centre.

Note to add, DWP can also re-assess when they wish but there's huge backlogs.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,394 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Best thing to do is don't ring to ask for the timeframe because it's always just a guide anyway. Ringing them will not prompt a review. Support Group is an ongoing award until a new decision says otherwise.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sh88
    Options
    Thank you so much, I’ve been so so stressed about it. I wish I could just take things at face value but I’m such a worrier and good old anxiety has crept in… I don’t want to keep calling them, it’s just the unknown with these things, like I wouldn’t have known it was moved to 2025 had I not called. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    sh88 said:
    I wouldn’t have known it was moved to 2025 had I not called. 
    They don't automatically tell you your referral date unless you ask because it's just a guide.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • sh88
    Options
    I’ve cried most of the night - with total stress really about nothing, part of what’s wrong with me takes me to scenarios in my head and I start to panic - but I spoke to someone on another forum earlier who was also told she was deferred till 2025 and she’s had a review done recently - it’s sent me into a total spiral :( .. she did say she hasn’t been reviewed since 2017 so suspects this could be why…. I was only awarded esa support group last year. I’m new to all this benefits stuff - had a successful small business making my own money and had to give it all up due to ill health. I’m feeling so worthless and stressed right now. I wish I could put it to the back of my mind but its awful 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The worst thing anyone can do is ring ESA to ask when your referral date is. It's nothing more than a guide so what ever date they give you, it doesn't mean you will be referred on that date.

For the majority of people they are still suspended. They did contact some people back in June/July for those whole hadn't been reviewed for a very long time.. 8+ years for most of them.

In normal times you can be reviewed at anytime so the date doesn't really mean anything. You can be reviewed before or after this time. I've claimed ESA for 10 years and have never rang them to ask for a date.

It's very stressful for the majority of people. I've never heard of anyone that doesn't find the process stressful.

You just need to try your hardest to forget about it because if you don't it will rule your life. Once they do start back properly there's likely to be backlogs. In the meantime there's nothing more you can do but wait.
  • sh88
    Options
    Thank you Poppy, I just feel a bag of stress about it… I just wish they’d be more transparent and tell us what is happening instead of all this unknown. 

If you don’t mind me asking - how many times have you been reviewed in the time you’ve received esa? I hope it’s not too intrusive. I’m so new to all this and it’s sending my anxiety soaring x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I believe it’s 3 reviews after my very first assessment way back in 2013. My last one was just as lockdown was announced in 2020. Two of those reviews were paper based assessments. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.