Feeling happy — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Feeling happy

Options
poppy123456
poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,605 Disability Gamechanger
Quite a few months ago i had an OT assessment because of difficulties at home with my extremely steep stairs (almost like a ladder, no kidding) and the bathroom. Recommendations were made for adaptions for a wet room and a stairlift but sadly my landlord didn't agree and the house was put up for sale shortly after. It now seems to be off the market and have no idea what's happened there and i haven't rang the agency to ask for an update.

I added myself to the housing list about 4/5 months ago and told them about my health conditions. I was sent a medical form to fill in and return. I then contacted my OT to ask if she could send the assessment report to the housing association, which she did.

It's been a couple of months and i started the think they had forgotten about me. Then today i had a phone call from the housing officer that deals with medical priorities. She told me that based on the OT assessment report she didn't need any further information and she can confirm that i've now been given urgent medical priority for social housing and i can start my bidding. I'm very excited to think that hopefully it won't be too much longer before i can move house and be able to get around my home a little easier and be a little more independant.

I'm just not looking forward to packing up and moving house... again. :D
I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Comments

• durhamjaide2001
    durhamjaide2001 Community Co-Production Group, Scope Member Posts: 10,614 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have been in the same situation Poppy just fighting for what you need and you will get there 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi poppy that's good news so it shouldn't take too long keep bidding daily. Good luck
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,065 Scope online community team
    Options
    That's great news @poppy123456, exciting times! I'm glad the OT was willing to send the report too, it sounds like it helped your application.
    Fingers crossed you won't be waiting too long for the right property to come up. Although having moved myself last year I don't envy you having to pack! 
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 317 Pioneering
    edited August 2023
    Options
    So pleased for you. 

I moved from a 3 bed house with over bath shower and loooong hallways to a ground floor flat with wet room, generously sized but nice and compact.
    Grab rails already present, plug sockets and fuses all halfway up so no bending. 

It's made such a difference, given me more energy on good days and much easier to cope on the bad days, plus when I hurt my foot (silly mishap) and was in a car accident (not my fault), absolutely no worries in having to deal with stairs or keeping myself clean while I healed. 

As soon as I applied for social housing I began decluttering and sorting out, so when I was offered somewhere I didn't have quite so much to do.

I moved June 2022 then helped Mum move in February this year, I think I'll be ready to go anywhere near another one in about 25 years lol... 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,605 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks everyone. @Adrian_Scope I've moved house more times than i can remember :D although packing/unpacking again doesn't fill me with happiness. Thankfully, my daughter that i live with is amazing and i know she will do most of that packing, as well as unpack once we've moved.

My son in law works for a well known car dealers and can get a van for free so that's really good.

@Kimmy87 wow, that is downsizing. I'm glad it worked well for you and that you're happy where you're living. 

I must admit i'm not a fan of flats of any kind so will be staying clear of the bidding for those. I would prefer either a house or bungalow. I lived in a ground floor flat before i live where i am now and i hated every minute of it. The sounds from the people living upstairs weren't nice and wouldn't want to go through that again.

Once i'm back from my long awaited holiday i shall start the bidding. Being top of the list i hope i'm not waiting too long for some good news!

The most important thing for me is the security social housing gives against privately renting. Not forgetting the much easier way of life.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kimmy87
    Kimmy87 Community member Posts: 317 Pioneering
    Options
    Poppy to be fair I moved out of my Mum's 3 bed house, but I decluttered the whole place while I was bidding. After I left Mum took advantage of councils downsizing incentive scheme and is now is a sheltered flat, where the help available came in handy twice once for a serious situation (a 9 day hospital stay followed). It's a really nice place and our old home has been re let to a family.

Flats aren't for everyone I'm very lucky with upstairs neighbour, a single lady works from home 3 days a week otherwise not there unless she has her 3 children overnight (high school age & above). Sometimes I hear them other times all 4 leave in the morning and I hadn't realised they were staying. 

LL doesn't allow hard flooring upstairs so everything is carpeted apart from her stairs and she's told me recently she has a carpet just hasn't had it fitted yet. I've been here 14 months so may mention it next time I see Housing Officer, but not as a complaint. 

Locally 1 bed bungalows are very scarce with high demand and I only saw a few the whole time I was bidding (13 months). Bidding wise I placed much lower than for flats. So I made the decision not to hold out for one. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.