Moving from tax credits to Universal Credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving from tax credits to Universal Credit

andrewkuk Scope Member Posts: 66 Courageous
Hi - I wonder if anyone can advise me on the upcoming changes as I understand tax credits are being moved over to Universal Credit. I know that PIP doesn't affect Universal Credit but I get ESA in the support group. I'm medically retired and I'm worrying we will be worse off with this change. Has anyone moved over to Universal Credit yet or know how it affects what you receive?

Many thanks - Andrew


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,857 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 11
    Those that are claiming Income Related ESA will not be migrated across to UC until at least 2028. Unless you’re either claiming Tax Credits or a change of circumstances prompts a move in the mean time. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,883 Disability Gamechanger
    If you receive Tax Credits, you will receive a migration notice soon. I do note from previous threads that your ESA is contribution-based, this will always continue to be paid separately regardless and isn't ending like the others. However, there will be a deduction of £561.16 a month from your UC entitlement as these are classed as 'overlapping benefits'.

    When you do claim UC you will be entitled to LCWRA from day 1 of your claim, you may also be eligible for Transitional Protection depending if your Tax Credits currently pay more than you'd get on UC. A benefits calculation will be useful if you write your current circumstances in as they are:


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.