An inheritance — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

An inheritance

Options
littleminx72
littleminx72 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
Hi there,  I posted a question yesterday? I am currently in receipt of Esa,  means tested and I also receive the enhanced Pip,  my Auntie has left me £12,200 in her will,  is it correct that the dwp will freeze my bank accounts and if so does anyone know how long it could be frozen for? And also how do I inform the dwp? Should I ring them or wait for them to contact me?

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,112 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2023
    Options
    The DWP can't freeze your bank account, but as has also already been advised you should report your inheritance once the monies are received. Please see: https://www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/change-of-circumstances  scrolling down to 'Changes to assets.' You should ring the DWP otherwise how would they know you have inherited this money?
    An inheritance will not however affect your PIP as that benefit isn't means tested.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If you don't report the changes they will eventually find out because you inherited the money. Assuming your ESA is Income Related then you'll need to ring them tomorrow morning when they open, if you've received the inheritence already. ESA open at 8am. https://www.gov.uk/contact-jobcentre-plus/existing-benefit-claims
    The question about your bank account was already answered yesterday, they can't freeze it.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • littleminx72
    Options
    I haven't received my inheritance cheque yet? I'm still waiting for my Dad  to sort that out,  Should I contact the dwp  before or after the cheque has? 
  • poppy123456
    edited August 2023
    Options
    You need to contact them once the money goes into your bank. If you're claiming housing benefit and/or council tax reduction then you also need to contact your local Authority.

For council tax reduction, all local Authorities have their own rules and some have a maximum savings limit of £6,000 before CTR ends. If you're claiming the single person discount, this isn't affected by savings.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • littleminx72
    Options
    Hi and thanks,  it's so confusing,  housing benefit upto £10,000 ,then they deduct money for every £500 over that amount , housing benefit for each £250 over the £6000, they will deduct £1, from my benefits? Does anyone know how long it'll take the dwp to look into my claim and adjust my benefit payments? And will they still pay my benefits into my bank account 
  • poppy123456
    Options
      housing benefit upto £10,000 ,then they deduct money for every £500 over that amount

That's not correct for working age people. For you the deduction is £1/week for every £250 or part thereof over £6,000.

I have no idea how long it will take to recalculate your benefits, sorry. Your ESA if it's all income related maybe suspended while they recalculate.
  • littleminx72
    Options
    Yes my esa is means tested,  I don't know if pip or housing benefit is means tested? Do you know if I will still have access to my bank account while I'm waiting for the decision from the dwp? I was under the impression that they deducted £1 for each £250 over the £6,000 limit  I live alone and I don't have any body to ask 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    PIP isn't means tested. Housing benefit and council Tax reduction are both means tested. 

As i previously advised, with council tax reduction some local Authorities have a maximum savings limit of £6,000 before entitlement to CTR ends. If this happens you will be responsible for paying all your council tax. With the exception of the single person discount, which you'll still be entitled to regardless of what savings you have.

You will still have access to your bank account and i'm really not sure why you're thinking you won't. DWP will not be able to be able to freeze any bank account.

Yes, the deduction is £1 for every £250 or part there of over £6,000.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.