Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Selling crafts on LCWRA

emmy_lou12397 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
I receive LCWRA because of mental and physical health issues meaning I cant reliably attend or carry out work. To help my mental health I crochet toys but I make so many I'm getting overrun so I've been looking into selling them through Etsy. I'm not looking to make a profit I just want to cover my materials and get some of the toys out my house but I don't know if it's allowed because of my work allowance.

Does anyone know if it's possible and what any financial implications would be for me?


  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @emmy_lou12397

    Welcome to the community! :) Your crochet toys sound really cute! :) 

    Yes you can. With LCWRA there isn't a limit on the amount of hours you could work but you have the work allowance. It means you can make a certain amount each month before any deductions apply. I would contact your work coach on your journal about how and when to report the changes. Some job centres do have specialists on self employment if you feel it is a route you'd eventually like to take.
    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,016 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes it's possible. You will need to tell UC that you're working and you'll be classed as self employed. You will need to attend a gateway appointment at your local JOb centre if you're new to self employed. You will then need to report your earnings and expenses on the last day of each assessment period.

    You will have the work allowance, which means you can receive a certain amount of earnings each month before the 55% deductions apply. If you claim for help with any rent it will be £379/month, if you don't it will be £631/month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Hannah_Scope said:
    I would contact your work coach on your journal about how and when to report the changes. Some job centres do have specialists on self employment if you feel it is a route you'd eventually like to take.
    Being on LCWRA means @emmy_lou12397 doesn’t have a work coach. However, registering as self-employed on UC means you will require an appointment with a work coach, the system will automatically generate this appointment (it’s a payment blocker until you attend) so don’t worry. You can’t be found as gainfully self-employed with LCWRA, this means there’s no set minimum to the amount you earn each month as you don’t have any work commitments.

    If you do have any queries, leave these under ‘payments’ for someone to reply to you. You might not get a response if you leave a message for a work coach as your journal isn’t monitored.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.