Hi, my name is LoisLane! I have been transferred from Old Style ESA to the New Style ESA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is LoisLane! I have been transferred from Old Style ESA to the New Style ESA

Options
LoisLane
LoisLane Community member Posts: 4 Listener
I have been in receipt of old style ESA both contribution and income related since October 2015.  I am in the support group.   In March 2021 I had my income related ESA suspended due to monies from my late mother's estate that put me over £16,000.    My capital drop to below £16,000 in March and I was reawarded income related ESA.  To get my rent paid I had to apply for a rent only Universal Credit claim.   I have now received a letter from the DWP to say that I have been transferred from Old Style ESA to the New Style ESA for the contribution element only but I have to have an interview with the Job Centre to make a claimant commitment.  Told I will be ask how my health/disability affects my ability to work.   I am in the Support Group, I have delusional disorder and other illnesses.   Why do I need this interview?   Surely just get me to sign the claimant commitment.   I also have uncontrollable bowel movements and mess myself daily so how can I work around other people. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,392 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When you claimed UC any Income Related ESA you were claiming would have stopped 2 weeks after you claimed.

As you’re in the Support Group your UC should include the LCWRA element from the start of your claim. 

Your UC will also include the standard allowance and the housing element.

Your ESA will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement.

Have you told them that you’re in the Support Group for ESA? If you haven’t then I’d advise you to put a message onto your journal and tell them. If you have a letter from ESA saying you’re in the Support Group then I’d advise you to show them this. It can take a few weeks for your details to pass from ESA to UC.

If you’re unable to attend the job centre because of your health conditions then you can ask for a telephone appointment as a reasonable adjustment. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • LoisLane
    Options
    I have just posted to my UC journal.    When I attended the Job Centre for an ID interview the advisor asked if I was in the support group because she said ESA take a whlle to pass info to UC.   I said I was and had been in since 2015.   She also asked if I was receiving PIP.  She said I would not need to see a workcoach as I can't work and with getting PIP there was no further benefit advice they would be able to give. 
  • LoisLane
    Options
    Just heard from UC and this is the message:

Hi Virginia, 

Yes you will need to attend the job centre and speak to an ESA work coach and once you have attended this appointment you will not be required to attend anymore. 

Regards, 
    Paige

So I do need to attend.   Hopefully they will do it by phone. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,392 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2023
    Options
    As this is a new claim it’s standard procedure to either attend an appointment or do it through a phone call. 

They should allow the phone call as a reasonable adjustment. If you’re unable to attend in person. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.