UC and tax rebate — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

UC and tax rebate

Wilsonwinehouse Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
Morning guys.. 

wonder if anyone can advise? 

I left my full time job about 4 months ago and claimed UC, I also get pip and have been awarded lcwra m, my first payment of that should be next month. 

3 weeks ago I received a letter with a cheque in as a tax rebate from when I worked full time. Not something you get that often.

I learned yesterday that UC would take that as earnings ( even though I earnt it while not getting benefits at all) and would deduct it from my UC.

Is this done all at 55p to the pound for every pound or do I qualify for the work allowance as I have lcwra as it says online? 

Many thanks guys x 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,283 Disability Gamechanger
    Yes a tax rebate is classed as earnings for UC purposes. 

    The work allowance will apply to you. If you claim for help with any rent then it will be £379/month, If you don’t it will be £631/month. 

    Anything over that will reduce your UC by 55%. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Wilsonwinehouse
    Wilsonwinehouse Community member Posts: 42 Courageous
    Thanks for your help


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.