ESA PIP AND CAN I GET SDP — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA PIP AND CAN I GET SDP

Options
unlucky101
unlucky101 Community member Posts: 12 Listener
HI everyone i was looking for advise please im on esa and in the support group im on pip on the standard rate for daily living and standard rate for mobility i live on my own in a house with a mortgage 3 years ago my partner left me she was getting carers allowance for me so that ended after she left my mum has tryed her best to help me but she is 74 and has cancer so it is very hard for her we applied for carers allowance for her to be my carer but they would not give it to her because she is getting her pension from the government and they call her pension a benefit they would not give her a penny for helping me .yesterday for the first time in ages i was on the computer and found that there was a benefit called SDP so what i am asking you lovely people out there after what i have just told you about myself do you think i should apply for one of the SDP benefits it would change my life so much i would be able to pay someone to help me instead of putting so much pressure on my mum which i hate so much its not fair on her.its just wrong.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It will depend on which ESA you're claiming, is it New style ESA or contributions based or Income Related? 

If it's New style ESA then there's no disability premiums payable with this because it's a contributions based benefit only.

If you're claim started after December 2018 then it's likely to be New style.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • unlucky101
    Options
    hi there thanks for your help iv been on esa since 2009 and was put in the support group im in the income related put of esa 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Then based on the information you've given then you should be entitled to the SDP. Best and quickest way to claim it will be to ring them to ask to claim it over the phone. They will fill out the IS10 form with you. It's a very simple process and shouldn't take longer than about 15 minutes maximum. It will take a few weeks for them to make a decision.

Ask for it to be backdated to the date you became entitled to it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • unlucky101
    Options
    hi poppy thanks for your help if i can claim this it would totally change my life like i said i only came across this yesterday imagine i would be able to pay someone to help me instead of asking my mother for help every day she is amazing thanks for your help. 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You’re welcome! One other thing to point out. Carers allowance and state pension are overlapping benefits so if your mums state pension is more than carers allowance then she won’t be entitled to any payments. 

However, she will have an underlying entitlement to it which means it could increase entitlement to pension credit or she could become entitled to it for the first time because carers premium would be included in the calculation. Whether there’s any entitlement to pension credit will depend on her circumstances.

Your mum having an underlying entitlement to carers allowance will not affect any entitlement you have to SDP. 
  • unlucky101
    Options
    thanks poppy are you sure iv had my hopes driven up before and  its a bank holiday iv been on esa since 2009 and put into the support group since then iv been on pip getting the standard rate for daily living and standard rate for mobility for over the past 3-4 years i have lived on my own since my partner left 3-4 years ago in a house that i have had a mortgage on since 2003 iv been very lucky to still be in my house the bank is just about to take my home away but if i can claim this benefit i could keep my home thats how important this benefit could mean to me can you see any resone why a my not be entitiled to this benefit and which one of the sdp s that i may be entitilled to thank you poppy for all of your help x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes I’m sure! Based on the information you gave then you will be entitled to SDP. I wouldn’t give incorrect advice!

You will not be entitled to it while your Ex was claiming carers allowance for looking after you. It will be from when the carers allowance stopped. 

There’s only one SDP and for a single person it’s £76.40/week. This would be from the April increase this year. In previous years it would have been less than that. 

It’s not a benefit on its own, it’s a disability premium paid in with your ESA. See link https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/severe-disability-premium
  • unlucky101
    Options
    hi poppy you have give me your advise to some one you dont know late at night can i ask a you some thing small about your self so i at least know a small amount of the lovely person that has helped me
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I know i don't know you but you gave the information so i was able to advise based on that. What would you like to know?
  • unlucky101
    Options
    just a small amount about you? that you dont mind telling me over this website just so you know you  are the first ever person iv messaged in 4 years.i seam to find it hard to share my feelings thanks for your help take care . 
  • unlucky101
    Options
    Hi poppy could you tell me were to down load the IS10 FORM many thanks Dean
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I'm not really sure what to say about myself. Well, like a lot of other members here, i have health conditions too and been claiming benefits for the past 10 years. 

I give my time freely here on the forum, advising others on many benefits questions. My knowledge comes from my own personal experience plus many many years of research and learning from other very knowledgeable people.

You can see the IS10 form here. https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/688600/response/1637206/attach/3/IS10.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1 However, if you're really in need of the money then ringing ESA to claim it will be much quicker than filling out the form and returning it. I've seen many members here claim it over the phone and had a decision within just a few working days.

• unlucky101
    Options
    thanks poppy for your help i to have been claiming esa and pip since 2009 it may seam strange but i feel scared to apply for it. because if i were entitled to it i could stay in the house that i bought from my grandmother in 2002 and as a builder i totally gutted and built a large extension on it and if i were able to get this extra benefit it means that i can pay the mortgage and find someone to help me prepare my meals and help to wash the parts that i cant wash witch luckly for me are manly my back and feet i would be able to aford someone to wash my clothes and iron my clothes and keep my home clean and mybe take me to my appointments yet i still feel scared to phone the esa  
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,112 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Please don't be scared; a few minutes on the phone should see you getting sorted to claiming SDP. poppy is too modest as she's helped thousands of people on this forum with her benefits knowledge; you can trust her.  :)
  • poppy123456
    Options
    @chiarieds thank you and yes i am :D Having claimed SDP myself 10 years ago almost i can honestly say it's the easiest benefit i've ever claimed. Actually It's not a benefit in it's own right, it's a disability premium added to certain Income Related benefits.

You shouldn't feel scared because there's nothing to be scared for. It will increase your ESA by £76.40/week, which is quite a big increase. They will ask you a few questions about who you live with and if anyone claims carers allowance or carers element of UC for looking after you and that's really all it is. Make sure you ask for it to be backdated to the date you became entitled to it (when your ex stopped the carers allowance)

On the other hand if you're still too scared to ring then just fill out the IS10 form i linked to above and send that back but as i advised, it will take longer. I was just concerned when i read you were having difficultlies paying the mortgage and ringing is much quicker. I hope this helps. :)
  • unlucky101
    Options
    hi chiarieds thanks for txing me im sorry it seams like iv over stepped the the mark / questions i should be asking your friend poppy i think i understand there are many strange people out there im sorry to bother both of you but this is the first time iv ever spoken to anyone on the internet i normally am to embarrassed to even try i think i have a lack of confidence thanks for speaking to me i.ll leave you both in peace .take care.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    hi chiarieds thanks for txing me im sorry it seams like iv over stepped the the mark

Not at all, what makes you think that?
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,112 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope you find everyone here is as helpful & supportive as they can be. poppy is indeed a very dear friend, but, as she knows, I would never comment on her advice if I didn't know it was correct. I don't post much, but do read a lot of the comments here, & I've seen members come back saying they claimed SDP quite easily.....I just wanted you to know that.
    You haven't done even the slightest bit wrong, so please don't think that either. We are all disabled people trying to help each other, & this is a safe place to talk.
  • unlucky101
    Options
    hi chiarieds and poppy i am in a mental mess its nearly impossible in my area to see a doctor face to face anymore although my doctors surgery have made my life hell i was seeing the same doctor since i was 2 years old he died 2 years ago and since he passed i cant get to see the same doctor  to try and have a relationship with one so i dont have to open up each time to explain whats going on with me the doctor dr bizon has turned my brain and body into a prescription drug addict as i said i was a builder my family are all builders i was on a building site on weekends and school hoildays by the time i was 9 i left school at 16 at the age of 24 i got a damaged L4 disc and couldnt stand up straight  for 16 months i was given a lot of strong painkillers when after 20 months i went back to work taking 8x30mg of codine whiched worked just enought to get ne back to work but by 2007 the codine even at 20 x 30mg a day that my doctor freely gave me stopped helpping obviously because my body was getting used to taking them so he put me on oxycodone he never told me about how addictive they are  imagine what that has done to my life in 2009 i had a scan and it showed that i had another damaged disc above the last one so my doctor just uped my dose even with these drugs i could no longer walk or  work by then i had a house a partner and a 4 year old son my life has been going down hill since then i coudnt sleep so my doctor put me on 2x7.5mg of zopiclone 8 years ago just that drug alone has messed up my brain i get head aks the worst thing is that i have a buzzing noise on the top of my brain which is loader some days than others im now on 440mg of zomorph each day now and some other horrible drugs the truth is i now feel like a drug addict my body does not work every day untill iv had all of the tablets my doctor has prescibed me i all so have arthritis in my hands and need help some times to cut up my food it s a horrible way to live iv also just had a new hip fitted 4 weeks ago i was waiting for that for nearly 4 years it was like i was being tortured they couldnt give me anymore pain meds because of the amount i was already given by my docter all theses drugs    have turned me into a highly depressed man of 50 years old so what im asking you are there any benefit out there that would help me live my life while i have to keep taking all of theses addictive medication that my doctor has given me over since 2008 when i was given drugs that were ment for people that had terminal cancer my doctor who is dead now has totally ruined my brain and life i cant even think for myself any more poppy if you or anyone you no could help me not just with benefits but someone that know about prescripion drugs and mainly someone that can help me deal with my every day life living with having to take these drugs every day i would be so grateful i really need help many thanks Dean xxxxxx take care x sorry if im putting to much on you.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That is indeed a lot to go through over those years. I'm sorry to hear that your Doctor passed away and you're unable to find another like them.

Having taken many prescriptions medications myself over the years, one thing i did find out rather quickly was that more often than not you need another medication to help with side effects from another medication.

As for help other than benefits you can refer yourself for a needs assessment from your local Authority. Once you do this they will arrange an Occupational Therapist to visit your home to assess your needs. See link. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/social-care-and-support-guide/help-from-social-services-and-charities/getting-a-needs-assessment/

Benefit wise then you're already claiming PIP and Income Related ESA. As you own your own home then help with the rent doesn't apply to you. Therefore the only other benefit is Council Tax reduction which can be claimed from your local Authority.

Did you apply for the SDP yet? That will at least help a little and increase your ESA by £76.40/week.

The only other thing that does come to mind is Support For Mortgage Interest (SMI) however, it's just a loan and does need to be repaid back should you sell your home in the future. There's some information here about this. https://www.gov.uk/support-for-mortgage-interest

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.