LCWRA REVIEW UPDATE UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCWRA REVIEW UPDATE UC

Angel212
Angel212 Community member Posts: 46 Listener
edited August 31 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi

so I managed to build courage and contact UC today 

spoke to a really nice person on the phone who was polite and patient with me.
I asked if they had any idea what was going on as I had been referred for a reassessment of my LCWRA 2 months ago and I had sent the forms back in July with my evidence 8 weeks ago and I am awaiting to hear no response yet. 
The person advised me to not worry as this is just to check condition is the same and nothing has changed. 

The person advised me he will be able to update me and has asked my case manager to call me next week to give me an update with what’s happening. 
But he said my payments remain the same and everything is fine.

does this mean they have done a paper based assessment or am I just assuming? 

Thank you 

Comments

• Angel212
    They also said if they need anything from me they will contact me but everything is fine for now. 

I am waiting for case manager call for update next week. 

What does this mean? 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,869 Disability Gamechanger
    When you phone UC or any other benefit you are actually speaking to an outsourced call centre that has limited knowledge of the benefits system.

When you fill a UC50 out this is sent directly to the Assessment Provider, it's not uncommon to be waiting longer than 2 months for communication and no, it doesn't mean you'll be having a paper-based assessment, these types of assessment are rare. You should always treat any sort of re-assessment form as a brand new claim form.

LCWRA is an ongoing award until a new decision says otherwise, hence the reason you are still being paid for that element. As I have advised above, it may take some time for your case to be looked at and for you to be reviewed, even if you require an assessment. There's no reason for you to speak to a Case Manager as they can only advise the same.
  • Angel212
    Thank you for providing that information 

I did request a paper base or telephone assessment when sending my forms and evidence but I know these are also rare so may or may not happen. 

This isn’t my first assessment my previous ones had been face to face. 

Will they go off my previous assessment report prior to being awarded LCWRA for extra information if they needed? 

I am so confused with all this as the person who I spoke to on phone from universal credit said to me would you like me to get your case manager to give you a call and update you when I asked what’s going on as I have had no response yet to my forms and evidence and I said yes. 

What are the case managers for then do you know? Thank you 

• bg844
    They may or may not have your recent UC50 form in front of them, you shouldn't assume this. It's not uncommon for them to use previous reports in your favour though. If they still think you need an assessment, you will be contacted directly from the Assessment Provider.

The person on the phone has got this one wrong. A Case Manager is there to manage your claim, they work back-office and aren't who people see face-to-face. They deal with managing payments and making decisions that need making health related or not, when you have a health assessment a report and recommendation is made by a Healthcare Professional, this then goes back to a Case Manager at DWP to have the final say and to make that decision. A CM can disagree with a HCP and it's not uncommon for them to do so.
  • Angel212
    Thank you for providing me with that information appreciate it 

• StillIRise
    StillIRise Community member Posts: 178 Pioneering
    bg844 said:
    When you phone UC or any other benefit you are actually speaking to an outsourced call centre that has limited knowledge of the benefits system.

When you fill a UC50 out this is sent directly to the Assessment Provider, it's not uncommon to be waiting longer than 2 months for communication and no, it doesn't mean you'll be having a paper-based assessment, these types of assessment are rare. You should always treat any sort of re-assessment form as a brand new claim form.

LCWRA is an ongoing award until a new decision says otherwise, hence the reason you are still being paid for that element. As I have advised above, it may take some time for your case to be looked at and for you to be reviewed, even if you require an assessment. There's no reason for you to speak to a Case Manager as they can only advise the same.
    I don't know why people keep saying paper-based assessments are rare.  At least 15% of WCA assessments are paper-based. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,590 Disability Gamechanger
    That's still quite rare in my opinion.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • bg844
    @StillIRise I hope you understand that many new members ask the question on paper-based assessments and some automatically assume that they will have one when it's simply not the case and I will always advise people to prepare for a normal assessment. I note you have started another thread arguing this and yes, 15% is more than people think but it's hardly the majority of the time. Anything below 50% can technically be counted as rare.

It's also not very helpful jumping on a discussion after advice has been given to a member, some members old and new are vulnerable and it can cause confusion.
  • StillIRise
    bg844 said:
    @StillIRise I hope you understand that many new members ask the question on paper-based assessments and some automatically assume that they will have one when it's simply not the case and I will always advise people to prepare for a normal assessment. I note you have started another thread arguing this and yes, 15% is more than people think but it's hardly the majority of the time. Anything below 50% can technically be counted as rare.

It's also not very helpful jumping on a discussion after advice has been given to a member, some members old and new are vulnerable and it can cause confusion.
    I have provided statistics. Nowhere have I stated that paper based is something you can ask for or will automatically get. 
  • StillIRise
    edited August 31
    bg844 said:
    @StillIRise I. Anything below 50% can technically be counted as rare.

By your reasoning I presume it’s “rare” for a child to be born in wedlock now given that only 46% of children are born to married parents now. 
  • bg844
    @StillIRise I'm not willing to carry this conversation on especially with irrelevant comparisons to do with children and benefits, I will still be advising people that paper-based assessments are rare because they simply are. 

OP, I apologise that this topic has gone off track and if you need any further help, please do ask.
  • StillIRise
    bg844 said:
    @StillIRise I'm not willing to carry this conversation on especially with irrelevant comparisons to do with children and benefits, I will still be advising people that paper-based assessments are rare because they simply are. 

OP, I apologise that this topic has gone off track and if you need any further help, please do ask.
    I’m not seeking to continue any conversation with you. Unless I am mistaken are not a Forum Moderator. So you have no right to attempt to police what I post.  Stop being a bully. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,590 Disability Gamechanger
    bg844 said:

Stop being a bully. 

I don't see how bg844 is being is being a bully here. They are just stating that 15% is still rare.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Community_Scope
    Community_Scope Posts: 809 Scope online community team

Where possible we like all discussions to continue, but we’re choosing to pause this discussion for now so things can cool down and we can review it. For more information, please read our online community 

We will review it and if we are satisfied the discussion can continue, we will un-pause the discussion.

This discussion has been closed.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.