Housing Benefit non dependent and other dependents question. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Housing Benefit non dependent and other dependents question.

scratsupport Community member Posts: 10 Listener

Hello to the very kind and informative people of this forum.  I had a letter  from a housing benefit today to ask about a non dependent child as from September. 

It is a questionnaire to ask if our eldest son will be working or claiming benefits etc.  I understand that there might be a reduction in housing benefit because of the non dependent rules.

Our non dependent child will be working from September and the deduction would depend on how much he is earning.  Looking at the deductions table his earning will take a substantial amount away from our housing benefit to almost the amount of what our full rent is.

My questions for which I can not seem to find an answer is this.  We also have 3 other dependent children that we have to financially support and are all in full time education.  Would deductions still be in place because of this?  

It would seem unfair to make such a huge reduction in our housing benefit as this would make our eldest son almost financially responsible for our other dependents!  So we would have no choice but to ask him to move out and find his own home!

I must point you that I am in receipt of DLA (Middle)  and from what I have read is that no deduction would be made if I claim this benfit.

Thank you for your help and support on this matter..



Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.