Capability for Work Questionnaire - How long for reply? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Capability for Work Questionnaire - How long for reply?

Options
Orangemoon12
Orangemoon12 Community member Posts: 13 Listener
Hello all,
Getting myself worked up having received this form to fill in and return, have been left alone for close to 7.5 years (since last assessment) have had the occasional meeting (around 4) at the Job Centre during this time, I've now got this impending sense of dread of attending the medical as it's been so long, feels like reopening old wounds as it nearly sent me over the edge last time round.

I suffer from anxiety and depression due to a botched medical operation going back to my mid teens (40 now) I've tried skimming through this forum and know many others are in the same boat but I can't seem to gather all the information needed to try to reassure myself, my head is getting muddled seeing all these different acronyms for various departments and different levels of incability, I'm intending to invest some real time reading everything (something I find hard as my awareness drifts massively)

I've become comfortable with my suffering and haven't visited any doctors for years and almost just accepted my current situation (am aware how bad this is) but I wanted to ask if having no recent doctor notes or visits, same with medication (switched to natural remedies) will this servealy affect my assessment result, I'll do my best to explain but will probably jumble my words and not sound coherent.

Roughly how long should I expect to wait till I hear about an appointment after I post off my form? (unless I get removed without even seeing anyone) Apologies for clogging up the forum and my spelling/punctuation is probably well off.

Thank you x

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,740 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It really does vary quite considerably depending on backlogs and each individual case. We have a few other members here that also claim ESA and were sent a WCA form a couple of months ago and i know they are still waiting.

Some people that claim UC also received the UC50 form a couple of months ago and some have already had their assessment.

To be honest, there's really no timescales. If an assessment is needed you will be contacted.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Orangemoon12
    Options
    It really does vary quite considerably depending on backlogs and each individual case. We have a few other members here that also claim ESA and were sent a WCA form a couple of months ago and i know they are still waiting.

Some people that claim UC also received the UC50 form a couple of months ago and some have already had their assessment.

To be honest, there's really no timescales. If an assessment is needed you will be contacted.
    That has actually reassured me, stupidly I've left sending the form back till the last possible day to get it in on time, now I'm racking my brain trying to get everything written down and I'm just getting more flustered and anxious, as you say I'll get contacted regardless.

Thank you for talking time out to reply. x
  • perdita
    perdita Community member Posts: 107 Courageous
    Options
    Hi, just to confirm what Poppy has said. I sent my ESA form back and they recieved it on 26th of July. To date I haven't recieved anything back from them. Just take your time filling it in and good luck 
  • Orangemoon12
    Options
    perdita said:
    Hi, just to confirm what Poppy has said. I sent my ESA form back and they recieved it on 26th of July. To date I haven't recieved anything back from them. Just take your time filling it in and good luck 
    Thank you, it feels like it's all came out of nowhere suddenly! and I wouldn't be able to get organised in time - hopefully not the case, just need to get my head around potential change, feels so daunting after almost going under the radar for so long.

Thank for replying x

• Orangemoon12
    edited September 2023
    Options
    This forum has been so helpful, I've one other question that keeps rushing through my head that I keep going over, hopeful someone with knowledge could help with?

How long in advance do you tend to have between recieving an assessment date and having to attend?

I'm sure this varies completely but is there a minimum time they give you notice for (always have at least 3 weeks for a job centre appointment for example) I'm very dependent on a parent taking me to the assessment and they've got a quite a lot on during the next 3 months that they can probably rearrange but not if it's a week beforehand, my mind is thinking the worst naturally so any input would be helpful

Thank you x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    At least a couple of weeks notice. You don't have to attend in person if you're unable to do that. If they ask you to attend you can request a telephone appointment if that's easier for you. I appreciate though that some people are unable to use the phone.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Orangemoon12
    Options
    At least a couple of weeks notice. You don't have to attend in person if you're unable to do that. If they ask you to attend you can request a telephone appointment if that's easier for you. I appreciate though that some people are unable to use the phone.
    That's really good to know, I didn't realise you can make a request if summoned in person for a face to face, it's something I'll definitely consider if I'm unable to easily get support to take me in person

Thank you again for reply Poppy
  • poppy123456
    Options
    You're welcome. The majority of assessments take place by telephone now. Though some are still face to face or even video call.
  • Orangemoon12
    Options
    You're welcome. The majority of assessments take place by telephone now. Though some are still face to face or even video call.
    That's encouraging to know, last time I had one I remember the drive to the centre (another town) just added stress to the whole unfamiliarity aspect of everything that day, so would definitely favour a call assessment

I noticed the Health Advisory Service website says you can rearrange the appointment once for ESA, if I was feeling particularly bad on the day, have you any knowledge if that would be a valid reason to rearrange? or is it only for other circumstances like travel issues, could you even rearrange a telephone call? - I worry if I have to take the assessment early morning (having not slept night before, where if I had an afternoon one I'm sure I'd manage to sleep weirdly)

Can see I'm rabbiting on now, but once again thank you for all your help x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.