Hi, my name is willbest6677! Sick Note and Work Coach — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is willbest6677! Sick Note and Work Coach

willbest6677 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I have a sick note for depression the doctor said it means i do not need to see my work coach but the coach says i must attend. He has also said i have to attend a specialist place to help me look for work is this correct in law or can i appeal it and how? thanks


  • Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 1,535 Scope online community team
    Hi @willbest6677, I'm sorry to hear there's some conflict between what your GP says and what your work coach says.

    Can I ask, are you in the work-related activity group of ESA or is this about something else? Just so I know for certain what part of the benefits system we are talking about.
    They/Them, however they are no wrong pronouns with me so whatever you feel most comfortable with
    Online Community Specialist

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us. 
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions are my own, such as mashed potato being bad.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,883 Disability Gamechanger
    Unfortunately, your Work Coach is correct. A fit note does not stop work-related activities even if your GP has signed the note ‘unfit for work’. You must attend whatever course you have been referred to until a decision has been made on a Work Capability Assessment that you will get referred for. If you do not comply, you may be sanctioned.

    You will be referred after 29 days for a WCA, you will receive a form in the post to fill out and send back.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.