Moving to Sheltered living — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving to Sheltered living

ellibo Community member Posts: 2 Listener

I'm due to sign a new tenancy to move into Sheltered living tomorrow

Firstly they want £315 upfront for 1wk 5days rent. Is there any way of claiming this money back? 

Secondly I will need to transition to UC from ESA support group and SDP. Will I get the same money?

Lastly how long does it take to transition over to UC and does any of my benefits stop whilst I am waiting?

Thank you 


  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,883 Disability Gamechanger
    After you have completed the online application process for UC your first payment will be one month and 7 days later, you can apply for an advance if you would struggle in that time period but please be aware that this is a loan that will need to be paid back via monthly deductions from your UC payment, if you can manage then it is best to get as little as needed.

    As you are in the Support Group on ESA this means you will be eligible to receive the LCWRA component from day 1 of your claim. You should be eligible for Transitional Protection so that you aren’t worse off when you move. As UC elements increase over time, TP will be eroded by this. Please be aware that you will need an appointment with a Work Coach whilst everything on your claim is getting processed and verified, this is a system automated appointment and you will not need another afterwards as you won’t have a Work Coach due to being placed in the ‘no work related requirements’ group with your LCWRA award. It may ask for a fit note after applying, ignore this and leave a message under the ‘payments’ category on your journal and let them know you was receiving income-related ESA in the Support Group and ask them if they could transfer this over.

    You will claim your housing costs through UC, this can be done during your application. They will ask for your tenancy agreement after your application has been submitted so keep this handy.

    As for the upfront payment and any potential shortfall in rent, there is something you can claim from your local authority called a Discretionary Housing Payment, details of this here:
    When applying, do this via your local authority. DHP’s are meant for the short-term and if you need another one after the initial period, you can apply again.

    Any housing benefit you currently receive will end, you will receive a 2 week run on of this, be aware that you may not get this payment exactly 2 weeks after you claim UC. As a general rule, when you apply for UC all of your benefits stop straightaway and any further payments (underpayments or run-ons) are paid manually.

    DLA/PIP will continue as normal if you receive this.

  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,883 Disability Gamechanger
    Note to add, if you are receiving any Council Tax Support then you will need to notify these separately. This is really important as they will not automatically get notified of you claiming UC.
  • ellibo
    ellibo Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Wow thank you, this is a lot information. I hopefully will have some help from housing association to complete this transition. One thing I don't understand is my ESA award sates it's based on NI contribution is this the same as income related?

    Thank you so much 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.