Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Travel

Options
John108
John108 Community member Posts: 10 Listener
edited September 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
How is it that people claiming PIP can have holidays abroad without needing assistance at airports and transfers to resort several times a year when they are claiming full PIP and one of the questions is how far can you walk relating to the length of a double decker bus and walks to board an aircraft is so much further. 
Surely DWP should monitor through passport control who is abusing there entitlement where as I can barely walk a length of a bus but ever time I send medical letters stating my condition is getting worst I have to endure a full review and paperwork related to it.
My anxiety and depression goes through the roof. 
Tagged:

Comments

• nasturtium
    nasturtium Community member Posts: 376 Pioneering
    edited September 2023
    Options
    Hello John108
    The Claimant is assessed on the impact of there condition to stand and then move reliably (safely, repeatedly, in a timely manor and to an acceptable standard) according to the descriptors.
    So if the Claimant can walk 10 meters without pain but after are in severe pain but try and push on through the pain then the Claimant is to be assessed as not being able to walk 10 meters because they cannot walk to an acceptable standard.
    This also applies if the Claimant cannot mobilise repeatedly for the majority of time or if it is not safe for the Claimant to mobilise.
    The Claimant is not being assessed on the ability to mobilise around airports.
    Nasturtium
    How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285
  • MickH
    MickH Community member, Scope Member Posts: 29 Courageous
    Options
    You can actually be pushed in a wheelchair to board an aeroplane, and please be aware , not all claimants of PIP have a physical disability. 
  • surfygoose
    surfygoose Community member Posts: 457 Pioneering
    Options
    As @MickH said, you can be on enhanced PIP mobility and not have a physical condition.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I go abroad many times a year and will be moving permanently either at the end of next year or early 2025, just because I like to go on holiday and visit family doesn't mean that I automatically am completely fine. As the others have mentioned, Airports do have assistance facilities from the moment you enter to the moment you are leaving on the other end. Please don't assume that anyone is doing anything wrong by having a little break once in a while. Besides, PIP is about your ability to complete tasks over a majority of the time, a week abroad every few weeks/a year is hardly the majority. You never know what pain that person is still in when they are pushing themselves to go away and warmer weather is actually beneficial for certain conditions.
  • John108
    Options
    So when you leave and go abroad permanently  you will notify DWP so they can stop you draining the public purse I hope and claim off the country you are residing in. 
  • bg844
    edited September 2023
    Options
    John108 said:
    So when you leave and go abroad permanently  you will notify DWP so they can stop you draining the public purse I hope and claim off the country you are residing in. 
    Of course and besides, that is a really ignorant thing to say. I claim PIP because I am entitled and nothing else and additionally for the record I don't receive any other benefits, my finances have nothing to do with you. I will also not be claiming from another country.
  • John108
    Options
    I have no arguement with people who have genuinely have health issue but I am riddled with arthritis and have spine issue and cannot walk ,bend without considerable pain ,feel suicidal and depressed but DWP says I am only allowed lowest level of PIP as I can make a sandwich and feed myself.. 
    I would love to go abroad but consultant say I cannot fly due to spine condition. But I see others on full PIP who are claiming and more capable than myself having several sun breaks a year when they should notified DWP after one holiday abroad as stated in the rules of PIP. 

• John108
    Options
    BG844.
    When you are not resident in UK you should not be claiming benefit from the UK. Claim from the country you are moving to
  • bg844
    Options
    John108 said:
    BG844.
    When you are not resident in UK you should not be claiming benefit from the UK. Claim from the country you are moving to
    I have already answered this above, I will close my claims the day I leave the UK. It's a long long while off yet anyway (over a year) so I will sort that when it comes to it. I also won't be claiming a benefit from abroad, many countries won't allow you to do this either due to residence and visa rules.
  • nasturtium
    edited September 2023
    Options
    John108 said:
    I am only allowed lowest level of PIP as I can make a sandwich and feed myself.
    The level of award is determined by the impact of your conditions when completing the 12 PIP activities that apply to you RELIABLY (safely, repeatedly, in a timely manor and to an acceptable standard) according to the descriptors like aids or the amount of assistance or supervision you need.
    Preparing food is not assessed by your ability to make a sandwich. This is from the DWP PIP Assessment Guide https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1144278/pip-assessment-guide-part-2-assessment-criteria.pdf  for the activity of Preparing a meal.
    "This activity considers a claimant’s ability to prepare and cook a simple meal for one from
    fresh ingredients. It assesses ability to open packaging, peel and chop, serve food on to a
    plate and use a microwave oven or cooker hob to cook or heat food. Serving food means
    transferring food to a plate or bowl, it does not include presentation.
    Carrying items around the kitchen or carrying food to where it will be eaten is not included
    in this activity.
    This activity considers the claimants functional limitations in their ability to prepare food
    and not the claimant’s lack of skill or opportunity to learn. If an individual cannot cook at
    all because they have never needed to learn, consider their ability to carry out activities at
    or above waist height and their cognitive ability to use a stove or microwave if shown how.
    Cooking food at waist height does not consider the ability to bend down to access an
    oven.
    If an individual cannot RELIABLY complete an activity in the way described in a descriptor
    then they should be considered unable to complete it at that level and an alternative
    descriptor selected."
    You need to give detailed real world examples of what happend when you prepared a meal and all of the other PIP activities that apply to you. What happened? Did anyone witness the incident? What was the impact of the incident?
    So if you need assistance because have to stop frequently because of pain and it takes you a long time to make a meal because of discomfort then you cannot do the activity RELIABLY as in a timely manor or to an acceptable standard. If you need assistance or supervision then you need to explain in detail who gives you the supervision, why you would need the supervision or assistance even if you do not get it, what happens if you do not get assistance. If you do get assistance or supervision then you can ask the person who provides the assistance to write you a supporting letter outlining your problems and why you cannot do the activities without assistance. You could get 4 points for needing assistance or supervision.
    If you can prepare and cook yourself a simple meal but you need to use a perching stool because you cannot stand or you need to use other aids to help you to prepare or sever food onto a plate then you could score 2 points for the descriptor needs to use an aid to prepare a meal.
    The level of award is decided on the level of help required for you to complete the daily living and mobility activities RELIABLY.
    More information about the activities and what information you need to provide can be found here https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/fill-in-form-pip/
    Read the links and information above and you will get a better understanding of what PIP is about.
    Hope that helps
    Nasturtium
    How to challenge a PIP award that has been reduced at Review https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/comment/696285#Comment_696285
  • nasturtium
    Options
    John108 said:
    BG844.
    You can find more information about that here https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-abroad/disability-benefits

• Community_Scope
    Community_Scope Posts: 1,058 Pioneering
    edited September 2023
    Options

Note from online community team: 

Hello @John108

Following review, we have chosen to close this discussion as we felt it was no longer in keeping with our online community house rules of remaining civil, supportive, and safe. 

Please take a moment to read through the community rules linked above and we look forward to welcoming any further discussions you may have in the future.

This discussion has been closed.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.