LCW DENIED — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

LCW DENIED

Options
nails
nails Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited September 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi there. I am self employed & signed up for UC at the start of the pandemic. 2 years later my younger brother died & my mum got breast cancer all in the same week. UC let me keep claiming with my incoming & outgoings recorded. July 2022 they found me gainfully self employed & put me on a 12 month start up. That ended July 2023 & the minimum income floor went to to 35 hours a week. I broke down to my work coach & explained that my anxiety & mental health has absolutely ramped up & I'm now having on the wait list for an assessment for autism & ADHD. grief counselling. I'm now on anxiety medication. I'm on the wait list for cognitive behavioural therapy on the advice from my therapist. Basically my mental health is at it's lowest ebb & that I am not capable of working full time hours. The business I have built up for the last 13 years is suffering because of my mental health. She told me to get a fit note from my gp & we can agree altered hours. I did this & agreed 12 hours per week & if I work over that's okay because I record my income & expenditure with them. So that's been working out. Then she told me to apply for PIP. I was assessed & was awarded 0 points because I showed no signs of anxiety on my phone assessment. I cried all the way through it so I've no idea what they're on about. The assessor barely even seemed interested. She also advised me to apply for a limited capability for work. I went to the assessment & they've sent a letter back saying that I do not have a limited capability for work & that I may be able to do some work. Well yes I am but that doesn't mean I can work full time. My work coach just advised me to put in a MR or I'll be expected to work 35 hours per week from 30th September so I have done. I just cannot fathom how someone who is on the wait list for an ADHD assessment, CBT & is crippled with anxiety & on daily medication & struggles with day to day life let alone working a few hours isn't even given a break. It's all backed up with gp evidence & fit notes & letters. How can they say I'm fit for work?

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @nails - welcome to the community. I'm sorry to read about your struggles, but you do seem to have an understanding & sympathetic work coach. I hope you get somewhere with your MR. You'll also find everyone here most supportive.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Hello @nails

I’m so sorry about your younger brother, my condolences. I hope your mum is doing well with her diagnosis. Can I ask, have you both got support around you? I wanted to leave a link for the NHS Bereavement and Grief services just in case either of you feel the need to talk to someone.

I would encourage you to reach out to Citizen’s Advice with the MR for your PIP and your LCWRA. They can be such a support for you, and they even have information pages about the process. If you would like to read up beforehand.

I do hope you hear about therapy and your assessments soon. Did you know you can refer yourself to NHS talking therapies? That may be an avenue to get you seen quicker? 

Please keep us updated and I hope the community can be a place of support for you. I also hope that your business continues to thrive. Can I ask what it is you do? 

Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • nails
    nails Community member Posts: 8 Listener
    edited October 2023
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.