Self Employed UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Self Employed UC

Rincewind Community member Posts: 2 Listener
My wife os a higher level pip recipient on both counts and has been for 8 or 9 years. She is currently being assessed for LCWRA (We just found out about LCWRA). I recently had to quit my job as hours clashed with my care providing.
My plan is to become a self employed Private Hire Driver as I could work hours around the care needed.
I currently have my own Wheelchair adapted vehicle for my wife's use and was hoping to plate this vehicle.
My question is would the vehicle count as an adapted vehicle for expenses on UC or would I have to claim simplified expenses.
Can't seem to find an answer to that anywhere?


  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,869 Disability Gamechanger
    See this link:

    In regards to your UC, I presume you are also getting the Carer's Element? If so, this will continue and you will also need to complete a change of circumstances if you decide to become self-employed. This is done via your online account. Although as a Carer you won't have any work-related requirements, registering as self-employed is a payment blocker and you will need a quick Job Centre appointment just to go through a few forms. As you have no work related requirements, there's no set amount of hours you need to work and UC will only deduct what you report. If your wife does get awarded LCW/LCWRA then you will get a work allowance (an amount you can earn before deductions, this is either £379 if you claim help with housing or £631 if you don't get help). 

    Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new endeavour. 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 15,319 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 21
    Hi @Rincewind - Please also see this (which is the guide for decision makers (para 4232-4234):    which says,
    ''where the motor vehicle is a car that has not been specially adapted for business use; i.e. a mini cab or taxi (but not a black cab or Hackney Carriage). These vehicles must use the flat rate mileage deduction; other vehicles can choose to use actual expenses or the flat rate mileage deduction.''

    I think this would be one for an actual decision maker. Your vehicle is already adapted (but for your wife's use).

  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 1,377 Scope online community team
    Hi @Rincewind and welcome to the community! 

    It looks like our fab regulars have given you all the details you needed. But I wanted to give you a warm welcome and a good luck anyway. :) 

      Are you a  fan of  Terry Pratchett by any chance? 
    Albus (he/him)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
  • Rincewind
    Rincewind Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for the help and the welcome.
    It's as I guessed, not clearcut one way or the other. I only suppose I can try and see what is said.
    This is all new to me, I only found out about UC and the LWCRA via CAB recently.

    And yes I'm a Terry Pratchett fan


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.