Major worries about the Government's proposed "reforms" to the disability benefits system — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Major worries about the Government's proposed "reforms" to the disability benefits system

Options
JasonRA
JasonRA Community member Posts: 34 Pioneering
edited September 2023 in Coffee lounge
Hello all.

I've just been signed off with Complex PTSD, Depression and Anxiety, it was a long and arduous task for the DWP to comprehend the deterioration of my mental health but they did and they were compassionate and reasonable about things. 

I only just caught news of these proposed "reforms" and I've felt a massive wave of anxiety fall over me. I can walk, my organs work fine but the decline is in my mind and I fear that will be enough ammunition for the DWP to say "You're fine, go work", yet I've lived a life of a hermit since at least 2013, I've locked myself down in theory for years, have no social interactions except with my GP and my mother and my brother, I'm suicidal and have tried to take my own life on numerous occasions usually with pills to no avail.

On top of it all I'm worried about my brother and how he would react to these reforms, he's me times 10 and if they say "go find a job" I fear he'll lose the plot.

This isn't about scrounging or "shirking" as some "journalists" insinuate, it's about the fact there are a significant minority in society who cannot work for various reasons, that compassion is a backbone of any functioning society. 

My question is this, we have an election in the near future, if an incumbent government loses the next election will their plans to "Reform" be for naught? Or does a reform stay regardless of who is in government?

All the best.
Jason.

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @JasonRA - & firstly welcome to the community. I'm sorry for the problems both you & your brother are facing, & realise how more than upsetting some of the views published by the tabloids will be. Even if these reforms come to pass (& there'll also be an election), it is in the future, & we've all got enough going on in the present.
    In the present government's defence, they're trying to help those disabled people who can, get back into work, not those they understand just can't/sometimes can't even contemplate it. There are of course reasons; it strikes me that getting more disabled people back into work will help the economy (which it may), but unfortunately we see so many of our [Scope] members facing discrimination; not having help with 'reasonable adjustments,' etc. who may want to work, that all of this needs to be looked into too.
    I have a feeling that some changes will come to pass, whoever is in government, but in the meanwhile a lot of what you read is just making headlines/speculation. We will have to see what happens, tho it won't be for a few years (if it happens), so I hope in the meanwhile you'll try not to worry on your own or brother's account, Jason.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,777 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The changes to the WCA will be in 2025 at the earliest which will be after the election, but whoever wins we can probably expect the changes to remain, but like all welfare reforms of recent years their bark will be worse than their bite.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• shellbell20
    shellbell20 Community member Posts: 260 Pioneering
    Options
    JasonRA said:
    Hello all.

I've just been signed off with Complex PTSD, Depression and Anxiety, it was a long and arduous task for the DWP to comprehend the deterioration of my mental health but they did and they were compassionate and reasonable about things. 

I only just caught news of these proposed "reforms" and I've felt a massive wave of anxiety fall over me. I can walk, my organs work fine but the decline is in my mind and I fear that will be enough ammunition for the DWP to say "You're fine, go work", yet I've lived a life of a hermit since at least 2013, I've locked myself down in theory for years, have no social interactions except with my GP and my mother and my brother, I'm suicidal and have tried to take my own life on numerous occasions usually with pills to no avail.

On top of it all I'm worried about my brother and how he would react to these reforms, he's me times 10 and if they say "go find a job" I fear he'll lose the plot.

This isn't about scrounging or "shirking" as some "journalists" insinuate, it's about the fact there are a significant minority in society who cannot work for various reasons, that compassion is a backbone of any functioning society. 

My question is this, we have an election in the near future, if an incumbent government loses the next election will their plans to "Reform" be for naught? Or does a reform stay regardless of who is in government?

All the best.
     Jason,

I have Complex PTSD, depression and anxiety too. I can barely go out, without a serious panic attack and yes I understand your concern.

Personally, I doubt this government will be re-elected. They have made so many blunders in my opinion that they don't deserve to hold office.  They treat the Average Joe with utter contempt and can't seem to shift from their Draconian ways. Let's not forget the "bedroom tax" that everyone was against.

They can try to force disabled people back to work but there will be a public outcry and I doubt they will be able to enforce much of anything without their sorry ***** being dragged through the legal system. I know it's hard as I am a worrier too, but try not to worry about something that may or not happen, even if it does, they have a long list to get through, a bit like PIP claims, they won't have the manpower to implement what they have proposed.

What makes me annoyed is they want to bully people rather than saying it is optional, not only should they say it's optional, but they should also offer a safety net, such as bringing back disability tax credits, those payments seemed to vanish off the face of the earth without anything to replace it. They say they have replaced it with Access to work, but that is a lie, Access to work was around in 2004, when I was working full time but developed Menieres Disease, so they allowed me taxis to work, due to my dizzy spells and lack of balance,  of course, I had to pay in advance.

• MickH
    MickH Community member, Scope Member Posts: 29 Courageous
    edited September 2023
    Options
    I don't think anything will happen until after an election (due 2025) as it would take so long to be ratified by the House of Lords, etc, etc, the present Government, I think, wouldn't dare make such sweeping changes before this as it would prove unpopular, and anything to hang on to power. Probably if a Labour Government would be realised they may be less draconian, if you believe what they are saying now !
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 999 Pioneering
    Options

The bad news is that major reforms enacted in 2016 are being scaled up now and it's all about UC. Labour supported those reforms and understood the consequences, yes.    

Vulnerable claimants receiving disability benefits will need to battle harder than ever for financial support    

• MickH
    MickH Community member, Scope Member Posts: 29 Courageous
    Options
    WhatThe said:

The bad news is that major reforms enacted in 2016 are being scaled up now and it's all about UC. Labour supported those reforms and understood the consequences, yes.    

Vulnerable claimants receiving disability benefits will need to battle harder than ever for financial support    

As I said, an election around the corner and not enough time to implement such. 7 years and still not ratified ?
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 999 Pioneering
    edited September 2023
    Options

Mick, hi,

I'm not sure I understand your point about ratification - of what?

The proposals will simplify the health assessments but the most damaging reforms causing financial hardship and psychological distress are being rolled out now and will continue for the foreseeable future  

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.