Appointee on my mother in law claim — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Appointee on my mother in law claim

starM26 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
My mother in law use to live with other daughter. Daughters husband has been placed as an Appointee on her Attendance Allowance claim. 

My mother in law has been living us. None of the money appointee is receiving is being used on mother in law. All food, look after etc is being done by my my wife (her other daughter). 

I have spoken with DWP but they said the appointee will have to request the removal. There is no other way around. They have sent a message to the back so likely payment will be on hold until the matter is resolved. 

I have read here that DWP is wrong. The claimant can request the removal. 

I have feeling the other daughter and husband will try there best to continue receiving the payments. They are getting free money and likely one of them is also placed as a carer for her. 

I will be writing to DWP but not sure what to say. My mother in law does not want her other daughter to be in trouble. 

What will happen in these circumstances and what action DWP likely to take? 



  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,582 Disability Gamechanger
    The scope guide does advise that the claimant can ring to cancel the appointee but whether that's possible is a completely different story. See link.

    The issue is that when you have an appointee it means you're not mentally capable of looking after your own claim. This means that DWP will not speak to the claimant regarding anything related to their benefits.

    I think their benefits being put on hold is a good thing in this case because of the potential financial abuse. I do hope that DWP will actually contact the appointee theirself. Once this is done hopefully a new appointee can be put into place.

    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 1,483 Scope online community team
    Since they aren't meeting one of the responsibilities 
    • spend the benefit (which is paid directly to you) in the claimant’s best interests
     I would hope the DWP would act quickly on this. Of course becoming an appointee isn't always a swift process. If the DWP deems the current appointee has failed in their duties but your mother-in-law cannot manage her own benefits still then the appointee process needs to be restarted with the new person. Scope has an advice page on Becoming an appointee | Disability charity Scope UK
    They/Them, however they are no wrong pronouns with me so whatever you feel most comfortable with
    Online Community Specialist

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us. 
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions are my own, such as mashed potato being bad.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.