PIP and working part time self employed — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP and working part time self employed

hayleyjade88 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited October 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi - Any advice appreciated please ? My son is 16 and has been recently awarded enhanced rate daily living and mobility ( the mobility is purely awarded based on planning and following journeys he scored o points for the mobility activity itself )He is diagnosed ASD/ADHD.
He originally wanted to do an apprenticeship for post 16 as really struggled with school the last year but had no luck with securing any he trialed i think his struggles with communication played a part sadly , he enrolled in college as felt this was his only option but is not coping with it , his attendance is poor and he wants to quit and try online college with working part time as his careers advisor told him his options are college , apprenticeship or work.
He applied for a couple of part time jobs but again no luck.
A friend of mine has offered him some light labouring work 2/3 days a week with the construction company he works at , my son would be picked up and taken to small jobs , where he would be supervised through out the day and given light work like picking up rubbish , passing and moving light items - he is keen to give this a go as gets restless being stuck in the house and likes to be outdoors and busy as he can be restless and impulsive.
My only concern is that i think he would need to register as self employed and for cis which i would have to do for him as well as his tax assessment each year as he would not manage this and although i’m aware that he can work so long as the work he does doesn’t contradict his pip award i worry if being self employed would affect his pip ? The work would only be as and when they need an extra person and it’s hard to say whether he would find it too much after a while or not but i don’t want to take away the opportunity either of him trialing new experiences . The courses he was interested in college were construction , carpentry or mechanics as he likes to build and make things so he’s keen to give this a go 


  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    The way PIP works is that they look at your ability to complete tasks over the majority of the time, I do know of a few people who have an award of Mobility for psychological distress and work full time. 

    If he won't be employed as an employee but earning, then yes, he will need to register as self-employed. In my opinion, I think he should give it a go and see if he likes it. There's no harm in trying something new.

    Just for clarification, is he no longer registered at a college and you no longer receive any child elements for him (if you do claim these)?
  • hayleyjade88
    hayleyjade88 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you for your reply.

    He is still currently enrolled in college and attending a full time course (his attendance is poor though ) and he wants to quit it he is due to have a talk with his tutor this week to see if there are any adaptions they can make to help him settle but he really doesn’t like it he’s currently studying mechanics.

    He currently receives child benefit and child tax credits .
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    My advice would be to have that meeting with his tutor and take the college side of things from there, he may prefer to work but it’s well worth keeping all opportunities open.

    If in the future work is a struggle, please do come back for further assistance. He may be able to claim Universal Credit as long as he isn’t a student and no one claims any child elements on their behalf.
  • hayleyjade88
    hayleyjade88 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and offer your guidance it’s greatly appreciated.

    I personally feel life’s a lot simpler for him if he remains in college but admire the fact that he’s wanting to get up and earn his money , maybe college will come up with a solution where he can do a bit of both.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.