I'm concerned about my therapist — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I'm concerned about my therapist

Options
bluefox
bluefox Community member Posts: 636 Pioneering
Can I chat with the community about something concerning me and maybe you can reframe this for me in a positive light or give me some guidance?

I'm currently having trauma therapy in an effort to improve my non-epileptic attacks / functional seizures but I'm concerned with my therapist.

As soon as she knew I was gay, she started asking about promiscuity (having lots of sex) and STD's. I have been recently diagnosed with EUPD and I don't believe that's the correct diagnosis for me, I feel CPTSD fits my problems better. Of course, being gay is hard because you can be rejected or face a lot of stigma, even violence. Homosexuality was still in the DSM (the psychiatric conditions manual) in 1987. I have researched and found a lot of LGBTQ+ get diagnosed with BPD. I feel that's a sort of discrimination in itself and there's lots of others who share this on twitter. 

Anyway, today she said that when I'm retrieving misplaced items or being late for things like leaving in the house in the past, for example when I used to work and my ex partner would take me to work. She said that's a form of attention seeking. I instantly felt insulted. I said, how is it attention seeking? I have poor planning and organisation skills. There's nothing to gain from my ex partner being angry at me in the past. I would get so absorbed in a task and I'd be late for work because I didn't give myself enough time to get ready and then I'd run around the house retrieving items I've mislaid.

I feel concerned about both of these points because it's important to have a rapport with your therapist and I feel almost instantly dismissed and labelled an attention seeker, based on those behaviours? I don't agree with her.

Comments

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    bluefox said:
    I have researched and found a lot of LGBTQ+ get diagnosed with BPD. I feel that's a sort of discrimination in itself and there's lots of others who share this on twitter. 

A lot of people with ASD/ADHD get incorrectly diagnosed with BPD too. 

I'm sure I shouldn't comment because I'm not a medical professional and never met you so your therapist is probably better equipped but some of what she's said are just giant red flags to me and smack of someone that still uses outdated sources and opinions. bluefox said:

Anyway, today she said that when I'm retrieving misplaced items or being late for things like leaving in the house in the past, for example when I used to work and my ex partner would take me to work. She said that's a form of attention seeking. I instantly felt insulted. I said, how is it attention seeking? I have poor planning and organisation skills. There's nothing to gain from my ex partner being angry at me in the past. I would get so absorbed in a task and I'd be late for work because I didn't give myself enough time to get ready and then I'd run around the house retrieving items I've mislaid.

This whole section is just laughable. I live alone and always misplace and lose things. Who am I seeking attention from??? My poor planning and organisation skills come from ADHD and the impact on executive functioning. Do you have ADHD? I can't remember your diagnosis. If so, I'd say you should at least ask her understanding of these conditions as honestly this is just shocking!!!
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 968 Pioneering
    Options

Hi, 

I'm not gay but acquired many incorrect diagnoses before CPTSD then autism. 

I've since read about time-blindness (associated with ADD) and your description sounds familiar to me. I was always the last to leave, late for everything, kept people waiting.. 

During 35 years of therapy, nobody suggested autism and I particularly hated the BPD diagnosis until it was corrected. 

• bluefox
    Options
    bluefox said:
    I have researched and found a lot of LGBTQ+ get diagnosed with BPD. I feel that's a sort of discrimination in itself and there's lots of others who share this on twitter. 

A lot of people with ASD/ADHD get incorrectly diagnosed with BPD too. 

I'm sure I shouldn't comment because I'm not a medical professional and never met you so your therapist is probably better equipped but some of what she's said are just giant red flags to me and smack of someone that still uses outdated sources and opinions. bluefox said:

This whole section is just laughable. I live alone and always misplace and lose things. Who am I seeking attention from??? My poor planning and organisation skills come from ADHD and the impact on executive functioning. Do you have ADHD? I can't remember your diagnosis. If so, I'd say you should at least ask her understanding of these conditions as honestly this is just shocking!!!
    You’re correct, @Biblioklept

i was diagnosed with ADHD last year and suspected autism. Even my Mum yesterday said I’ve always been time blind and the one group of friends I had mentioned problems with punctuality. I’m not sure why that is attention seeking or what unconscious motive she seems to think I have. 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    It sounds like she maybe isn't aware of your adhd diagnosis or is uneducated about adhd <3 
  • bluefox
    Options
    It sounds like she maybe isn't aware of your adhd diagnosis or is uneducated about adhd <3 
    I agree with you. I don’t understand why this would be considered attention seeking. 

I’m on my own today in my house and I can’t find things I’ve put down and forgotten about and there’s paper work in the wrong order too. 

I’m socially isolated so I don’t know who I’m trying to unconsciously get help from. 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Sounds like she hasn't got a clue @bluefox, don't pay it any more time or thought <3 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.