Disability support in work. Opinions needed please. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disability support in work. Opinions needed please.

Options
malice88
malice88 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
edited November 2023 in Work and employment
Hi everyone!

I work in a HR function with aspects of my role focused on employee wellbeing.

My colleagues and I have been discussing ideas for support options we could provide for people with learning differences, developmental disorders (this covers my condition!), and disabilities/ongoing conditions.

When you think about things from a company perspective, inevitably cost and other capitalist considerations will impact discussions.

I therefore wanted to ask for your feedback about what you have found helpful in practice, or would wish for based on an ideal situation, if you're unable to work or struggling in work.

This is a pie in the sky, no limits conversation, so please, feel free to share your dream situation for disability support if there were no limitations.

Alternatively, if you have a HR/strategic background i would also welcome recommendations with business rationale or supporting studies.

*So to summarise*

What support measures would help you (or your differently abled friends and family) happily and healthily join the workforce or remain in work?

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey @malice88 I hope you're doing well on this crisp Friday?

I noticed there'd be no replies to this, so I just wanted to give your post a little bump in the hope you can get some feedback from people. :) 

I think the best thing business can do is make sure the managers/TMs/higher ups etc are all trained in EDI or at least have some basic knowledge on how to offer allowances and accessibility to those who need the extra support.  A caring manager really can make a world of difference to ones working environment.
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 968 Pioneering
    Options

Mine are simple, even cost-saving!

Eliminate artificial lighting and use natural light. Reduce air conditioning and increase ventilation. Reduce noise, temperature and smells. 

Could you do all that for me? 

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 477 Pioneering
    Options

@malice88

The initial challenge in addressing the specific needs of certain groups arises when it may pose difficulties among other staff members. It becomes essential to prioritise the overall well-being of the entire company. Encouraging active participation and soliciting perspectives from all staff members in projects like this not only fosters understanding among colleagues but also mitigates the potential impact of jealousy in the workplace. 

Creating a truly inclusive and supportive workplace for individuals with learning differences, developmental disorders, and disabilities involves a range of measures. Practical steps, such as implementing flexible work arrangements, ensuring accessible workspaces, providing mental health support, and proactively identifying reasonable accommodations, are essential. Additionally, your company could establish diverse mentorship networks, these relationships contribute to a richer exchange of ideas, a broader understanding of different perspectives, and increased professional development opportunities for all participants. 

• Denise12345
    Denise12345 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Flexible work schedule and flexible location so I can work with and around. Work places look at issues and deficits which make the assumption that divergence is a problem. You could use another lense and see divergence as an opportunity and is representative of society and so your potential customer base so income related.  I am both HR and neuro and physically diverse

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.