ESA, LCWRA and work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

ESA, LCWRA and work

Options
Alymak66
Alymak66 Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited October 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
I am in the support group for ESA on LWRCA, I also get some UC. I have worked in managerial jobs since leaving school, I am now 57 with mulitiple conditions. I am going insane being at home all the time but as my illnesses are so varied from hour to hour I am unable to commit to work due to times, days, hours etc. HOWEVER, I have been contacted by a company to ask if I would be interested in using my managerial skills for 10 hours a week, entirely from home and can choose when I work with no commitment to days or times. I do not know if I am able to do this, especially if I have a bad flare etc. I do know that my mental health and physical health are getting worse due to me not working and losing interest in just about everything in life. I know I would be so much better if I could do some sort of work and this opportunity seems ideal. I cannot find clear information on the internet for if I am able to do this as I am on LWRCA. Also, would I lose the UC (£194 a month), would I not get free prescriptions etc. I am also very worried that ESA would not understand at reassessment. I know this would not be easy for me to do but it would give me a purpose, not about the money just about trying to work in some shape or form and keeping myslef motivated to help my mental health and give me my life back! Hope somebody can offer me some detailed guidance with this issue, thank you in advance!

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,759 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Alymak66
    Options
    I’ve read this so many times and I still don’t feel it’s clear about LWRCA and being on UC too, also to know if I will lose my free prescriptions etc. thank you so much for reading my post and replying 
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    ESA carries a permitted work allowance of £167 a week to keep this, under UC there's no limit. Under UC you will have a work allowance of £379 if you get help with housing or £631 if you don't get housing help. What this effectively means is that you can earn up to this amount without any deduction from your UC and any further earnings will be deducted at 55p per £1 earned. If you do decide to start working, you will need to print out and fill in this form for ESA (posting it to the address on your most recent letter from them): 
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1148680/permitted_work_factsheet_PW1_04_23.pdf

You will also need to do a change of circumstances on your UC account, when your employer reports your earnings to HMRC then UC will get these automatically and deduct where applicable. Effectively, you can keep both benefits as long as you are under the ESA permitted earnings limit but you must inform them that you are starting work.

Any DLA/PIP you potentially get will not be affected as these benefits aren't means-tested so no need to inform. If you get Council Tax Support you will need to notify these separately. 
  • Alymak66
    Options
    bg844 said:
    ESA carries a permitted work allowance of £167 a week to keep this, under UC there's no limit. Under UC you will have a work allowance of £379 if you get help with housing or £631 if you don't get housing help. What this effectively means is that you can earn up to this amount without any deduction from your UC and any further earnings will be deducted at 55p per £1 earned. If you do decide to start working, you will need to print out and fill in this form for ESA (posting it to the address on your most recent letter from them): 
    https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1148680/permitted_work_factsheet_PW1_04_23.pdf

You will also need to do a change of circumstances on your UC account, when your employer reports your earnings to HMRC then UC will get these automatically and deduct where applicable. Effectively, you can keep both benefits as long as you are under the ESA permitted earnings limit but you must inform them that you are starting work.

Any DLA/PIP you potentially get will not be affected as these benefits aren't means-tested so no need to inform. If you get Council Tax Support you will need to notify these separately. 

• Alymak66
    Options
    Thank you that is extremely helpful, I own my own home mortgage paid up so dont get housing benefit. I was concerned that I am in the LWRCA support group so would only be allowed to do the supported permitted work and also lose my entitlement to free prescriptions etc. it seems this is safe as long as I do not earn more than £167 a week
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,863 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Supported permitted work is irrelevant now anyway. If you claim UC you will only be entitled to free prescriptions if your earnings were less than £935 in your last assessment period. See link https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/help-with-health-costs/help-with-health-costs-for-people-getting-universal-credit/
    As also advised above, permitted work rules do not apply to UC. As you don’t claim for help with the rent then your work allowance will be £631/month. However,
    as you’re also claiming ESA then you need to make sure that your earnings are not more than £167/week, otherwise the ESA will end. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alymak66
    Options
    Thank you Poppy, that is extremely helpful! The last thing I want to do is to attempt to work 12 hours a week (though I feel I need to try to help my depression), and then find I am worse off and then unable to continue to work to then strart all over again! So, if my UC and ESA are currently £755 a month and I do a job for £150 a week, I should be just about okay? The job I am interested in is working from home and offers flexible working, I would certainly not be able to committ to regular times or go out to the workplace now as things are getting so bad but it would be nice to have some distraction from the depressing side of my illnesses! thank you again!!
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,863 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Whether that £150/week will affect your UC will depend on whether you claim for help with the rent or now. If you do claim for help with the rent your work allowance will be £379/month. If you don't then it will be £631/month. This means any earnings you receive each month up to that amount will be ignored before the 55% earnings taper apply.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.