Work — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Work

Options
kay87
kay87 Community member Posts: 46 Connected
Hi I’ve recently started a phased return to work I love my job and the ladies I work with so much I’ve also missed the children I’m a qualified early years practitioner. I used to do 20 hours a week over 2 days when I was well … now I do 12 hours over 3 days and I am tired in agony and sore for days afterwards… doctors said my post thrombotic syndrome is now effecting my lower spine and I walk my legs swollen heavy and so sore and my back is arched forward. I tried a 7 hour shift and my painkillers aren’t working at all… yet job centre pushing me to do more hours and calling me in on intense work search … I’m not very academic and couldn’t do anything else as all jobs I’ve had are physically demanding … my last shift was Thursday and I’m still in agony now my next shift is 4 hours on Tuesday as both my managers seen the state of me after 7 hours they had no staff to cover so I stupidly Felt guilty about letting my team down so agreed but I’m paying for it still now… I’ve put in for limited capability for work as my work coach put me in for it. I hate this so much want my life back to how I was :(
Any advice would be helpful I love helping but can’t do it no more my body is done 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you claim or receiving PIP ? sounds like you possibly should.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• kay87
    Options
    Hi yes I get the lowest rate as I’m still “mobile” still walking and I can drive but the heated seats and sitting down helps take the strain off my leg and back … I’ve had a hot water bottle on my back all the time I’ve been home taking codiene 30mg once a day, paracetamol 2x 1000mg and naproxen 2x500mg a day none of it is working … think I’m guna have to have a word with my boss and stay on the lunch cover rather than more hours although job centre want me back on my 20’hours and so does work :( I’m not one for crying but the pain is horrible and for a 35 year old most the time I use the walls for support in the house when I’m doing school runs I can’t even ask my mum no more because she has bad knees :( little do a small walk from my aunties over 2 joined roads and up a tiny ramp and I’m there but takes me at least 15 mins to get there (I’ve timed myself) 
  • MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 475 Pioneering
    Options

Hello kay87 

I am truly sorry to learn about the considerable pain and discomfort you are experiencing, particularly at the young age of 35. I have no experience of job centres, but it's genuinely worrisome to hear that you're grappling with health issues while also feeling pressured by them to increase your working hours. 

It appears that their evaluation of your abilities is far from accurate. Have you considered requesting a reassessment of their request for you to extend your hours? You should surely be receiving support not undue pressure from them. Wishing you all the best in navigating this horrible situation you find yourself in. 

• kay87
    Options
    Thank you I’ve had pnuemonia and blood clots in my leg both lungs so been off work since December trying 4 hours a day 3 times a week so 12 hours which is better than nothing but they’ve rang me all threw out my sickness about how I’m doing n what work they think I can do I love my job but with my health I can’t do more than 4 hours the pain from the 4 hours is more bearable than any more hours 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.