Moving from Child Tax Credits to UC — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Moving from Child Tax Credits to UC

Options
Dazzy999
Dazzy999 Community member Posts: 4 Listener

Hi,

I work full time, earning 40K. Have 4 children. My wife is a housewife. We are currently getting child tax credit and child benefit for all 4 kids.

I get the following figures from the entitledto caluculator (tried all 3, get the same from other too)

I also called the citizen advice, they said that the calculators are pretty accurate but it doesnt look right to me.

First of all we dont claim housing benefit as we dont belive we are eligible for it (We pay £700 to private landlord)

I havent recived any letter for migration yet, Am i better off staying with child tax credits or consider moving to UC ? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,875 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can't start a new claim for housing benefit anyway because it no longer exists for new claims. UC includes help with the rent known as housing element.

As you have children on your claim then you'll be entitled to the work allowance, which for you will be £379/month, therefore you can receive that amount of earnings each month before the 55% deductions apply.

Tax credits will be based on the previous years earnings. UC is based on earnings received each month, so if earnings increase your UC decreases, if earnings decrease UC increases. It will also depend on how often you're paid your earnings. 

If it's weekly/fortnightly then your UC entitlement will be less because you'll receive more earnings each month.

I'd advise you to use a couple of different benefits calculators to see what it comes out with. I suspect that it will be more than what you're receiving with Tax credits because UC includes help with your rent, where as you're not claiming for help with that at the moment. 

One thing i will add is, please make sure you're 100% better off with UC because once you submit the claim you can't go back to tax credits. 

If you do submit you will at some point receive your final tax credits award notice so if there's an overpayment you will need to repay that back. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Dazzy999
    Options
    You can't start a new claim for housing benefit anyway because it no longer exists for new claims. UC includes help with the rent known as housing element.

As you have children on your claim then you'll be entitled to the work allowance, which for you will be £379/month, therefore you can receive that amount of earnings each month before the 55% deductions apply.

Tax credits will be based on the previous years earnings. UC is based on earnings received each month, so if earnings increase your UC decreases, if earnings decrease UC increases. It will also depend on how often you're paid your earnings. 

If it's weekly/fortnightly then your UC entitlement will be less because you'll receive more earnings each month.

I'd advise you to use a couple of different benefits calculators to see what it comes out with. I suspect that it will be more than what you're receiving with Tax credits because UC includes help with your rent, where as you're not claiming for help with that at the moment. 

One thing i will add is, please make sure you're 100% better off with UC because once you submit the claim you can't go back to tax credits. 

If you do submit you will at some point receive your final tax credits award notice so if there's an overpayment you will need to repay that back. 
    Thanks for your reply. Yes I am aware that you can't go back which is why I posted here. There are 3 calculators on the official UC website and they are almost the same with the calculation. 
    Do you know what's the threshold or criteria for the housing element. Is it the same with the previous housing benefit or has it changed under the UC
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Housing element and housing benefit are similar but some rules are different. 

If you're privately renting then your entitlement will be based on local housing allowance for the area you live and on how many bedrooms you're entitled to. You can check here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/ please do be aware that the amounts will be weekly, so you'll need to convert it to monthly.

If you're renting from social housing then you'll be entitled to full rent, unless you have spare bedrooms.

I always find this benefits calculator accurate but of course it will only be as accurate as the information you put into it. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/

The only thing i will say is that you mention your wife being a "housewife" there's no such thing when claiming UC.

At the moment she won't have any work commiments because of your earnings but this may change in the future.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Dazzy999
    Options

If you're privately renting then your entitlement will be based on local housing allowance for the area you live and on how many bedrooms you're entitled to. You can check here. https://lha-direct.voa.gov.uk/ please do be aware that the amounts will be weekly, so you'll need to convert it to monthly.

If you're renting from social housing then you'll be entitled to full rent, unless you have spare bedrooms.

I always find this benefits calculator accurate but of course it will only be as accurate as the information you put into it. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/

The only thing i will say is that you mention your wife being a "housewife" there's no such thing when claiming UC.

At the moment she won't have any work commiments because of your earnings but this may change in the future.

The point of mentioning housewife was she didn't work so just one income. If you notice I've provided by screen shots, they are from entitledto, and I put in all the info including the lha entitlement and the no of beds etc :) 
  • poppy123456
    edited October 2023
    Options
    If you put all the correct information in then it must be correct. 

Sorry I can’t be more specific but I don’t know how much net earnings you receive each month or how often you're paid so difficult to advise.

I will say that your earnings that you've entered seem wrong based on a 40K salary. Please double check. It's net earnings you need.
  • Dazzy999
    Options

Sorry I can’t be more specific but I don’t know how much net earnings you receive each month or how often you're paid so difficult to advise. 
    I've mentioned it all in the post :) 
    40k yearly pay. Around £2500 after deductions paid monthly 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Dazzy999 said:

I've mentioned it all in the post :) 
    40k yearly pay. Around £2500 after deductions paid monthly 

You mentioned 40K salary but not net monthly pay..

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.