Are you superstitious? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Are you superstitious?

Options
Hannah_Alumni
Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
Happy Friday the 13th!

With spooky season creeping in, it makes me wonder if members of the community are superstitious?

I definitely grew up with;
  • It's bad luck to open an umbrella indoors.
  • Don't step on a crack.
  • Don't walk under a ladder.
  • Smashing a mirror is 7 years of bad luck.
  • It is bad luck to gift a purse without a silver coin inside.
There are actually so many! I would say I am superstitious, but not overly. I think it's more as it's brought to my attention.

Over to you:
  • Are you superstitious?
  • Did you grow up with what I put on the list above?
  • Are there any you would add?
Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Comments

• OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,637 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No.  At least not until I saw the date!  :#  :D
  • michael57
    michael57 Community member Posts: 237 Pioneering
    Options
    i am always wary when dawn is nice to me  >:):D
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,364 Scope online community team
    Options
    I'm not superstitious now, but I grew up with a few superstitions in my family. Apparently it's bad luck not to greet a lone magpie, so we always had to say "Hello Mr. Magpie, how's your wife and children?" 

No idea why we had to ask about his family, but it seemed important at the time :D
    Rosie (she/her)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious Will you be dodging black cats today?  :D 

@michael57 Haha! How quiet do you keep when she is? 

@Rosie_Scope I have heard some people great the Magpie, where I was told you saluted to it? It's strange how superstitions also have their differences!
    Hannah - She / Her

• michael57
    Options
    @OverlyAnxious Will you be dodging black cats today?  :D 

@michael57 Haha! How quiet do you keep when she is? 

@Rosie_Scope I have heard some people great the Magpie, where I was told you saluted to it? It's strange how superstitions also have their differences!
    haha not very i do like to push the boundaries with her we bounce off each other tho she gives as good as she gets all in jest tho 
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Haha! Aww, it's great when you have the same humour wavelength. I have an American friend who once told me "You can tell your British" I replied "What? Did the accent give it away". To which she said and that's why, the sarcasm 😂
    Hannah - She / Her

• michael57
    Options
    well they do say sarcasm is the lowest form of wit i prefer to think of it being truthful without offending dawn keeps saying she going to sew a zip on my lips haha

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,312 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've always found fri 13th to be a lucky day for me.
     I was bought up with all these Superstitions, shoes not on a table and all the rest. My mom gave me a right telling off once when I discovered I could fit coins on my eyes. Apparently it's what they did to corpses :#  I think we carry them on because we've been constantly told as kids. I find I'm telling my grandkids the same, like don't open the brolly up in the house. 
  • C_J
    C_J Community member Posts: 715 Pioneering
    Options
    My grandparents were superstitious and would often comment on it me not so much although I won't walk under a ladder more for the common sense of it but it does make you wonder where it came from as back in the day people really were superstitious and believed in it.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My parents were quite superstitious and bits and bats have followed on with me :D
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,772 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We do follow most of them as a family but only as a sort of jokey tradition.

I noticed no one has mentioned one we do - at the dinner table - if you spill salt you have to take a pinch of it and throw it over your left shoulder.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    Haha, just in time for Halloween @michael57 🤣 That'll be one for the trick or treaters!

@Sandy_123 Get that lottery ticket tonight then! The shoes one is another I grew up with. I only found out recently about the eyes, ironically from the animated A Christmas Carol movie with Jim Carrey.

We do carry them on. Reading @C_J 's comment, I sometimes wonder if they are now superstitions or if they fall under that label of "old wives tales".

@bg844 Bats 😂 hopefully of the baseball variety? 

@66Mustang That's one I've seen my grandparents do! But I always questioned, aren't you technically spilling salt out if you are pouring some on your dinner? We now have a salt grinder, haha!
    Hannah - She / Her

• WelshBlue
    WelshBlue Community member Posts: 755 Pioneering
    Options
    I never put new shoes on the table and treat old mirrors with reverence until they're in the recycling centre

Friday 13th ... I'm so dead later when the boss comes home.  I decided to wipe the fridge freezer with Wonder Wipes, the decorators go to to remove paint etc ... taken off all the lacquer.  :'(

Unlucky or stupidity.  

I'll find out when her mouth opens laters ... 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,708 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm not but my maternal grandmother definitely was an knew them all.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Hannah_Alumni
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Oh no @welshblue! Maybe hide? 😂

@woodbine are there any that haven't been shared yet? 
    Hannah - She / Her

• WelshBlue
    Options
    Oh no @welshblue! Maybe hide? 😂

I wish I had.  Went down like a lead balloon

Didn't help me pointing out she wasn't being very ladylike  :p
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Options
    @WelshBlue Fridge Freezer shopping this weekend? Could hide in one at the shop 😂
    Hannah - She / Her

• WelshBlue
    Options
    @Hannah_Scope LOL ... if we had a chest freezer I think I'd be in it.  Tamping doesn't describe it.

Although I should engage my brain before speaking ... reminding her of the time she put a deep fat fryer on the ceramic hob and turned the hob on ... molten plastic everywhere ... or the time she stood on said hob to clean a cupboard and went through it ... I should have shut up  :pensive:

I'm going to get some car vinyl wrap ... colour of her choice of course  <3
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Almost compulsively so. It's confusing as I don't actually believe any of them but also they play on my mind when I hear them and become intrusive thoughts so I end up following them. I can't really explain it. I've purposely not read any of the replies to the OP for fear of giving myself more
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,312 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.