how do you pick providers yourself when it's so overwhelming? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

how do you pick providers yourself when it's so overwhelming?

Options
Stellar
Stellar Community member Posts: 131 Pioneering
trying to work out how to solve a problem that i've had for years. i'm autistic with adhd and also undxed cptsd.

so in short, if i need something done, such as, a cleaner, a plumber, some form of healthcare like therapy, i realistically have to go private.

there is cause there is no help available from social care, social services, NHS etc. and re-engaging them is traumatising because they've harmed me in the past (hence the cPTSD). so as far as i'm concerned, i either go private or i go without, which is why i'm working so hard to build the income i need to pay my own way and leave the UK.

but when i try to do look for support for things i need now, i find all the information so overwhelming I'm not able to narrow it down. even when it comes to narrow things down by location, price etc. and other filters and advice from other articles on flags to look for. there's still too much.

it's not anaylsis paralysis, it's a case of the information is so vast and overwhelming that i can't even work out how to start processing it to find those most suitable for me. and this is before going into how to contact them and what to say in my initial contact.

normally i directly ask others for recommendations on providers, or if they don't know, help me narrow it down. Or usually, I'd ask for providers to be chosen on my behalf (such as with the NHS or private therapy when i used betterhelp, but i won't be engaging them again). however, relying on these strategies are untenable, especially once i'm out of the UK. so i need to learn how to do it myself.

has anyone else had the same struggle? how did you overcome it?
Tagged:

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Hello @Stellar

I've popped your post as unanswered for now. Hopefully a few more people will see this and be able to help advise. I'm sorry it's all been so overwhelming for you. 

I suppose one thought that could help towards you leaving the UK. If you know where you are moving, you can start researching now and it can give you more time to read over and take in the information and hopefully be something that can couple with another suggestion someone in the community has? 
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey there @Stellar I'm sorry to see no one has been able to advise you here.  I'm just checking in to see how you were getting on? Have you managed to make a decision?  
    Albus (he/him)

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Stellar
    Stellar Community member Posts: 131 Pioneering
    edited November 2023
    Options
    i'm doing better, but that's largely cause i stopped trying till i have money and/or am outside the UK lmao

i have no choice but to manage myself, and i'm doing a good job of it, but it's hard.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,322 Scope online community team
    Options
    Well I'm glad you're doing a good job, even if it is hard @Stellar, I can very much empathise with the struggles as an autistic person with additional issues.   One thing I found really really useful is putting all that information into a list of bullet points. It may not seem much, but it has been a life changing discovery! 

Albus (he/him)

Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Stellar We are here and if there is anything we can do to support. Please don't hesitate to reach out <3 
    Hannah - She / Her

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.