Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

PIP telephone assessment

Options
pinemartine
pinemartine Community member Posts: 57 Courageous
Hi, everyone.
Yesterday morning, my mobile showed unfamiliar mobile number. I picked up anyway and it was from DWP.
She said she wanted ask a couple of questions about my PIP application. I hadn’t received any advance notice or warning about assessment, so I thought she wanted me to ask permission to access to my GP or something.
I asked if it was an assessment and she told me she wanted ask questions for me to avoid assessment. 
She started asking a lot of questions which were actually telephone assessment. I suffer from anxiety and panic attacks so I wanted my friend to support me for the assessment but obviously I couldn’t arrange that without any warning.
 I also suffer from insomnia. I only had a few hours sleep and my brain was not working properly. I was overwhelmed and nervous. I don’t think I told her everything I wanted to say.
Can they call you for the telephone assessment without advance notice?
I know if the decision is wrong, I can appeal but it’s another heavily stressful situation.
is there anyone who had same experience? What did you do about it?

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes, they can call without prior notice. You have had something called a 'paper based assessment' which basically means that there was enough detail on your form along with any evidence to assess you without actually seeing you, I know you did receive a phone call but this is common when there are a few things that need clarifying for the Healthcare Professional to write a report. Paper based assessments are generally seen as a good thing.

Once DWP receive your report back, you should expect a decision within 2-12 weeks.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.