You are wonderful! Explain just *how* wonderful! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

You are wonderful! Explain just *how* wonderful!

Tazzie
Tazzie Scope Member Posts: 29 Courageous
This is a community of wonderful people.

Many times, we talk about the problems we have- the struggles we face... let's talk about something else.

What things- even little things- make you wonderful? Has disability helped you be a better person? Are you a better person just because? 

Let's talk happy things and celebrate!

For me, I would say- I am so happy that I have a wonderful assistance dog who really has helped me. She is older now, and I am waiting for her "successor", but she has made me a better, stronger, and happier person.                                                                                                                                                                                                Another thing- I love arts and crafts and making things for people.

And, I like to put my poems in the special Face Book group for our assistance dogs and their handlers- they make other people feel good. :) 

Share something happy? Who knows- maybe someone else reading this will feel a bit better, or realise they have things to celebrate... that would be great :)

Comments

  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,042 Disability Gamechanger
    I didn't want to say my health problems have done anything good, they haven't, but I guess there is one little bit of "silver lining", which is that they have made me a stronger person and I don't get phased by little things that bother most people.

    E.g. if someone cuts me up on a roundabout when I am driving I would not pap my horn, I just let it go, because there are bigger things to worry about. The person who would pap their horn obviously has very few problems in life if being cut up on a roundabout causes them frustration.

    Hope this makes sense?
  • Hannah_Scope
    Hannah_Scope Posts: 7,093 Disability Gamechanger
    @Tazzie We have a few members share their poems in the Coffee Lounge :) If you would ever want to share with us! 

    I would say finding the IBD community when I was diagnosed helped me immensely, but it makes me happy to support new members to the community <3
    Hannah - She / Her

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • WhatThe
    WhatThe Community member, Scope Member Posts: 886 Pioneering

    Tazzie, you are clearly a wonderful person! What a lovely thread  <3

    I think I am a wonderful person for enduring what I have and reaching my bus-pass birthday :)

    Thinking of Christopher Reeve - Superman! - and the adjustments he had to make after his accident, yes, I believe that disability strengthens our spirit and survival instinct.  

    I sometimes smile at people I don't know and their reaction to eye contact makes me feel glad to be alive. Chatting to strangers is spontaneous and rewarding. I try to help poor souls sitting on pavements - the ones not asking or following people around. I've experienced 'random acts of kindness'. 
      

  • Tazzie
    Tazzie Scope Member Posts: 29 Courageous
    It's been nice to read these :)

    THe poems I do are specific to assistance dogs, I don't think they'd make much sense to anyone else but thanks for the offer. ;)

    Anyone else want to celebrate something? :)
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,287 Disability Gamechanger
    I have a wonderful wife who has supported me through good times and bad, as for me personally I have a very strong belief in social justice and although I am slowly becoming partially sighted I try and stay strong and keep my wicked sense of humour.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

  • Tazzie
    Tazzie Scope Member Posts: 29 Courageous
    edited November 2023
    66Mustang said:
    I didn't want to say my health problems have done anything good, they haven't, but I guess there is one little bit of "silver lining", which is that they have made me a stronger person and I don't get phased by little things that bother most people.

    E.g. if someone cuts me up on a roundabout when I am driving I would not pap my horn, I just let it go, because there are bigger things to worry about. The person who would pap their horn obviously has very few problems in life if being cut up on a roundabout causes them frustration.

    Hope this makes sense?
    It makes more than a little sense- you've paid a high price for that perspective. 
    You know another good thing? You're here, with us- and we are so lucky to have you! :)
  • Tazzie
    Tazzie Scope Member Posts: 29 Courageous
    woodbine said:
    I have a wonderful wife who has supported me through good times and bad..

    That's wonderful! SO many of us are so fortunate that we have amazing people who are there for us, who appreciate us, and make the world worthwhile. Applause to the Mrs!

    What kind of humour is so wicked? ;) Tell us more!
  • cymbalfern
    cymbalfern Scope Member Posts: 25 Courageous
    This is a really thought provoking question. Never looked at health disability challenges like this so I can’t comment at the moment ? Always seen my health deteriorating as a disadvantage. 
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 11,219 Disability Gamechanger
    Tazzie said:
    This is a community of wonderful people.

    Many times, we talk about the problems we have- the struggles we face... let's talk about something else.

    What things- even little things- make you wonderful? Has disability helped you be a better person? Are you a better person just because? 

    Let's talk happy things and celebrate!

    For me, I would say- I am so happy that I have a wonderful assistance dog who really has helped me. She is older now, and I am waiting for her "successor", but she has made me a better, stronger, and happier person.                                                                                                                                                                                                Another thing- I love arts and crafts and making things for people.

    And, I like to put my poems in the special Face Book group for our assistance dogs and their handlers- they make other people feel good. :) 

    Share something happy? Who knows- maybe someone else reading this will feel a bit better, or realise they have things to celebrate... that would be great :)
    Do you keep the poor old thing. I have a support dog. So she’s my life long best friend/ baby / whole world. Wouldn’t be here without her. Good luck. Hugs 🤗  
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 1,618 Scope online community team
    This is a really interesting question @Tazzie, thanks for sharing some positivity!

    I think a couple of other people have mentioned this in similar or different ways, but one thing that my disability has really helped me with is patience and endurance.

    I was very ill as a teenager and had to spend long periods of time lying alone in the dark just waiting to feel better. Now if I have to endure something tedious or long, I find it easy to break it down into smaller chunks of time and get through it, or I can look for other things to focus on. If I can get through that, I can wait for that bus or sit in that traffic jam, no problem!
    Rosie (she/her)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 11,219 Disability Gamechanger
    I am still alive. At a grand old age.
    Despite a childhood of abuse. And a lifetime of mistakes. I didn’t stop trying to kill myself until in my twenties. 
    Now I embrace my Asperger and other mental illnesses and physical illnesses and pain. 
    Now I am great full for every day because no matter how they tried to destroy me I have made it to now. 

  • cymbalfern
    cymbalfern Scope Member Posts: 25 Courageous
    I think it is good that some people feel wonderful through circumstances they endured in their lives. However speaking about myself there is nothing wonderful about me. I am just a person no more no less.
  • cymbalfern
    cymbalfern Scope Member Posts: 25 Courageous
    After thought I believe that all disabled have to be wonderful & I hope they all continue with their challenges to be wonderful. I myself just don’t feel wonderful but that’s ok.
  • Tazzie
    Tazzie Scope Member Posts: 29 Courageous
    After thought I believe that all disabled have to be wonderful & I hope they all continue with their challenges to be wonderful. I myself just don’t feel wonderful but that’s ok.
    I can relate to sometimes not feeling very wonderful... what kind of hobbies or activities do you enjoy?

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.