Adviced needed please - Home — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Adviced needed please - Home

G3Hammond Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi long time back my parents wanted to transfer a property to me.
My parents lived in it but my Mum has very recently died.

She paid no rent to us so and the property was disregarded by the DWP when I made my original ESA claim over 10 years ago as I have a relative living in it.

We live in a rented accommodation where we get housing benefit, DLA and Tax Credits, and Carers Allowance

I used to be in the contribution based ESA but at some point it seems they pulled me out at some point and I am now in the Income Based ESA now as far as I can tell. 
Apart from being pulled out of the support group 1 or twice in 10 years I have always been in the ESA Support group.

I have checked and I have paid and I have at least 35 paid years of NI contributions.

How will this affect my current situation  and what is the best way to proceed.

Many Thanks for any help given.


  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 1,563 Scope online community team
    Hi @G3Hammond and welcome to the community.

    Firstly, I'm so sorry for your loss. With regard to your question, I personally cant advise on this situation, but I'm sure one of our regulars will be along soon with some top answers. 
    Albus (he/him)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
  • G3Hammond
    G3Hammond Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Thanks for taking the time to say about my Mum ... (Appreciated)
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,857 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 20
    Sorry for your loss. When a ESA claim is a mixture of both contributions based and Income Related it will be known as an Income Related claim. This doesn't mean part of it isn't contributions based. An old contributions based ESA can include the income Related top up depending on circumstances.

    The 35 years of NI contributions doesn't mean anything. What counted at the time of your ESA claim would have been the previous 2 tax years.

    I'd advise you to ring ESA to ask what your claim is made up of and if any of it is contributions based. If any part of it is contributions based then this will continue, regardless of savings/capital.

    Carers allowance and Tax credits are also not affected. Housing benefit and Council tax reduction will be affected, as well as any Income Related ESA. All those will end if there's capital in the property of more than £16,000. (unless you plan on living in the property)  You will need to contact all the departments that pay your means tested benefits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 645 Scope online community team
    Hello @G3Hammond, just checking in. Sorry to read you recently lost your mum. Hope you're getting on okay in the circumstances.

    I'm sure this must be a really stressful time for you, but did you manage to contact ESA to clarify things?

    Citizens Advice might be another port of call if you needed to chat it through with somebody external :)
    Rosie (she/her)

    Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.