If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Invite your MP to a debate: This post will self destruct in less than 8 hours.

Options
Tori_Scope
Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,503 Disability Gamechanger
edited October 2023 in Cost of living
Hi everyone :) 

Big news: We've secured a debate in Parliament! It's happening tomorrow, Thursday 26 October. You have less than 8 hours to invite your MP to attend.

This debate in Westminster Hall will dedicate an hour and a half for MPs to discuss Government financial support for disabled people this winter and beyond. This will include talking about introducing an energy social tariff (discounted energy bills) for disabled people. 

They'll have a strong opportunity to share your concerns around rising energy bills, and call for greater financial support for disabled people and carers. 

The more MPs we get to attend, the louder this call for an energy social tariff will be.

Invite your MP to the debate.

Over 1,000 people have already invited their MP. Will you join them?
National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us

Comments

• Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,729 Scope online community team
    Options
    Done and shared to my various networks. 

Come on folks, get your MPs involved. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Thanks @Albus_Scope! Every little helps, as a wise person once said. 

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,802 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Done
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Thanks @woodbine!

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Done! :) 
    Hannah - She / Her

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi Tori, I hope you're keeping well (& warm!) I've already done this I believe, as I received an email from Miriam on 19 Oct, & replied immediately. I received a letter very quickly from Rishi Sunak, which didn't tell me much new, just what the Government has already done. Altho I asked if those like myself living in a Park Home would receive any financial help (many where I live also have disabilities), this wasn't addressed.
    The only part of his letter that was new to me was that ''the Government are currently exploring ways to protect vulnerable consumers from April 2024. The Department of Energy Security and Net Zero are engaging with industry and stakeholders to determine how best to support the most vulnerable and alleviate fuel poverty.''
    By '' most vulnerable'' I'm unsure whether this would specifically include disabled people; perhaps a question to ask.
  • Tori_Scope
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Hi @chiarieds :) A bit chilly, but not too bad thank you! I hope you're well. 

Thanks so much for emailing him. The language they use in these kinds of replies can be vague for sure. Have you forwarded the reply from Rishi into campaigns@scope.org.uk? If you forward it on to us, I can see whether our Public Affairs team would like to follow up with him at all. And I'll see if we can get any clarity on the "most vulnerable" statement. 

Also, just to note for everyone, we've paused this action as we received an update about the date of the debate due to Parliament being prorogued. So stay tuned, as we may have a little more time to invite MPs! 

• Tori_Scope
    Options

Hi again @chiarieds :) I've spoken to a colleague, and I think we're unclear on who exactly they mean by "vulnerable" people in this case too. 

As you know, the different types of existing cost of living support are available to different groups, under different circumstances. So the specific benefits someone claims, for example. Which means that many disabled people of course miss out. 

We don't think this should be the case. You can read more about the energy social tariff we're calling for on our website (and by downloading the report). 

The Government have broken their promise of consulting with groups on an energy social tariff, so we're calling on them to launch the consultation and keep important conversations around support for disabled people and their families going. So I imagine this is something we'd want to get to the bottom of during the consultation process!

• chiarieds
    edited October 2023
    Options
    Hi @Tori_Scope - have just emailed a copy of my letter from Rishi to campaigns@scope.org.uk
    I definitely didn't feel certain that disabled people would be included in a 'most vulnerable' group, & it could just mean those on a lower income & different benefits as you say.
    If anything is gained with a social energy tariff, then, altho I know Park Home Owners are in a definite minority, how would this be implemented for any like myself who are disabled, & may not have mains gas or electricity?
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Thank you @chiarieds

I know it can sometimes be a bit more complex for park home owners like yourself. We've set out that the eligibility for an energy social tariff doesn't cover park homes specifically, but if those residing in park homes also meet the criteria we've specified, then they'd qualify. 

• Tori_Scope
    Options
    Just wanted to let everyone know that we've finally got a new date for the debate 🥳 It'll take place on 23 November 2023.

If you haven't invited your MP to the debate, there's still time for you to do so

If you've already sent an email to your MP with the old date, we'll reach out to them to let them know about the new date :) 

• Tori_Scope
    edited December 2023
    Options
    The debate went ahead! You can watch it on the Parliament website. We were pleased with many of the comments the MPs who attended made, bringing attention to how disabled people are being affected by the cost of living crisis.

The Minister responsible, Amanda Solloway MP, attended. She still refused to commit to launching an energy social tariff consultation. Which is really disappointing.

Here's what some other MPs who attended the debate said:

"Scope puts it rather well. People cannot thrive, because they are too busy trying to survive" - Steve McCabe MP

"I'm still waiting to hear whether there's going to be a consultation on a social energy tariff. I'm really disappointed that I haven't". "Disability organisations are still [...] raging"
    - Marion Fellows MP  

We might be raging, but we won't stop pushing for change. We'll continue campaigning for cheaper energy bills for disabled people! 

I'll try to keep you updated on our progress. Thanks to everyone who invited their MP :) 

• chiarieds
    Options
    I watched the debate, thank you for the link, but was disappointed in how few MPs attended. Unfortunately it seemed a debate as to when to have a debate about a social energy tariff.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,729 Scope online community team
    Options
    I personally felt let down by it as well, but I'm not surprised my MP didn't turn up. 
    Albus (he/him)

Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    Yes, these kind of debates often have a low turnout unfortunately @Albus_Scope @chiarieds :( My understanding is that many MPs return to their constituencies on a Thursday, so it's a challenging time slot. Plus the usual reasons!

And it was definitely disappointing not to hear any progress from the Minister on a social tariff consultation. 

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.