Friends/family of my partner have financial & care concerns on us moving in together — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Friends/family of my partner have financial & care concerns on us moving in together

Options
teasweetly
teasweetly Scope Member Posts: 3 Listener
My partner and I are wanting to move in together, yet we have had some difficult reactions from my partners friends/family. 

They start by saying to her, "I love *me*, nothing against *me*" then just say they are worried about her financially supporting me and she needs to "protect herself" or "he's very unwell" and are worried about her caring for me. 

My partner was pushed to tears by the comments as no one was offering up any solutions or offering their support just catastrophising their concerns. 

It basically feels like people are saying: "I'm great but disabled". I understand no one dreams of our reality but we have built a good relationship and everyone has known I was disabled from the start. 

Does anyone have advice for what to do, what we should say to people? I feel very stuck now as my partner has told me what people have said to her so It will be awkward the next time I see them. 

Thank you! 

Comments

• Hannah_Alumni
    Hannah_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,912 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @teasweetly

Welcome to the community! :) 

I am so sorry that you are going through that with them. If you and your partner want to live together than that's your business. It's your relationship. If they question or comment you could just very calmly say "it is our relationship, we will decide what is best for us as we are the two parties in it." If they push anymore then maybe go low contact for a while? Sometimes distance can make people realise how offensive they are being.
    Hannah - She / Her

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.