About benefits between partners — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

About benefits between partners

CVR Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I am a 65 years old woman and I am living with my mother.
She is 88 years old, totally disabled and I care for her. ( She receive Pension Credit guarantee, AA High rate, housing benefit and council tax support)
Personally I receive Career element, Standard element, and housing element from UC.

It's expected in the near future to decide if I will start to live with my partner or if we will choose to continue to live separately.

My partner ( 80 years old) receives pension credit guarantee  , housing benefit and council tax full support from his council, and definitively without an expiration date , High rate Attendance Allowance.

My questions are:
If we will start to live together as a couple
If we decide to continue to live separately but I will start to care  him,

which consequences will be applied to us about the benefits that we already receive and what we have to do about it?

Thank you very much for your help


  • dkb123
    dkb123 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 163 Pioneering
    you should not do anything until you have taken professional advice 
    many people are caught in the trap of being without benefits when they officially start living with a partner, because both your incomes are taken into account in the calculations for Council Tax and housing benefits so you may be worse off
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 49,547 Disability Gamechanger
    If you live with your partner you will be classed as a mixed aged couple because you are under state pension age. This would mean that your partners pension credit will end and they will need to report the changes to pension credit. See link https://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/mixed-age-couples

    You will need to report a change of circumstances for UC and tell them you’re living with a partner. You will be sent a linking code. Your partner will then need to claim UC their self and use the linking code to join both claims together. Their housing benefit will then end 2 weeks later. 

    Help with the rent will then be paid in with your UC. (if you need to continue to claim for help with the rent) 

    Your partners state pension will be deducted in full from any UC entitlement. As your partner claims high rate AA then your UC will include the LCWRA element from the 4th month of your claim. 

    Changes also need to be report for council tax reduction as this will need to be recalculated. They will lose their single person discount too. 

    If you wait until you reach state pension age then your partner will need to report the changes to pension credit and it will need to be recalculated based on your joint circumstances. Whether there’s any entitlement will depend on joint circumstances. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Jimm_Scope
    Jimm_Scope Posts: 1,481 Scope online community team
    Hi @CVR, welcome to the scope community :) I hope you're doing well today.

    Poppy has already given you quite a bit of information, I don't think I can really add much to it. I will say though what can sometimes be helpful is going through all this with someone. If you think that would be beneficial then I'd recommend contacting your local Citizen's advice!
    They/Them, however they are no wrong pronouns with me so whatever you feel most comfortable with
    Online Community Specialist

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us. 
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions are my own, such as mashed potato being bad.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.