If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Alp72! Refused PIP, help please?

Options
Alp72
Alp72 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited October 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with Genetic Haemochromatosis. The symptoms happen very gradually and for me, I thought it was my age, lack of sleep not eating enough. Then I struggled to cycle to work, where as before I cycled 10 miles a day. Then I struggled to walk due to fatigue severe ankle pain and then struggled to work with brain fog. All of these are common symptoms. I was diagnosed at the end of July 23. After being signof sick from work for 4 months I was refused PIP. I checked and Haemochromatosis is a recognised disability. I listed all of my symptoms and condition and the reply I got from PIP was I think you can walk further than you say. If you are being washed daily and cooked for daily by a relative you qualify for nothing. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.  

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,107 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    PIP isn't awarded based on any diagnosis, so even if a condition is recognised as a disability it's irrelevant for a PIP claim. What they look at is exactly how your conditions affect you against the 12 PIP activities.

Your first step is to request the Mandatory Reconsideration . (MR) You have 1 month from the date of the decision to request this. You should put the request in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points.

When you filled out the form if you didn't give a couple of real world examples of exactly what happened the last time you attempted each descriptor that you think applies then you should do that now. Include detailed information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were. You should aim for at least half an A4 side of paper per descriptor that applies to you.

It may not be possible to score as many points as you think, the same as it maybe possible to score more points than you think. The link is long but well worth taking some time to have a read before starting the next stage.

If the MR decision doesn't change, or you're not happy once it's made you can then proceed to Tribunal.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 4,729 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hey there @Alp72 and a big welcome to the community from me!

I can see you're in very capable hands with Poppy helping you out, but I just wanted to say hi and let you know I'm moving your post into a different category so more people will be able to see it. :) 
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.