If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question relating to getting dressed

Options
MissKitty1973
MissKitty1973 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
Advice please although my 16 year old son is independent with getting dressed, he however requires frequent prompts and reminders to stay on task in getting dressed because of his ASD/ADHD due to high levels of distractibility does this mean because I have used the word independent does this mean the assesors will now see this as him being able to do the activity therefore scoring 0 points.

Comments

• woollywonder
    woollywonder Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    Options
    Have you had an assessment yet? If not you can clarify this duing the assessment - " my son can *physically* dress independently which is what I meant by what I wrote - but I need to clarify that he still needs constants prompts to stay on task"    ..... also mention if he needs help to choose appropriate clothing for the situation, whether he has sensitivities to certain clothing etc etc

• MissKitty1973
    Options
    Yes I have stated he requires assistance with his clothing as due to visual stress difficulties despite his drawers labelled he is unable to select clothing and that I lay his clothes out daily on the bed for him, I also stated that due to his sensory disorder he requires all labels cut out of his clothing and that he is unable to choose the correct clothing for the season/weather i did give an example where during the heatwave he insisted on wearing his winter coat to out out one day and would not take it off.  Another example is that he struggles with getting footwear on so we buy shoes with velco or we replace the shoe laces with the easy type laces not sure what the exact name of them are because of his dyspraxia and joint hypermobility.  With regards to undressing i did explain that he requires reminders/prompts to get out of his day time clothes otherwise once in bed he will refuse to remove them. Another example is that because of his joint hypermobility we do not buy clothing which has zips/buttons as he has diffculties with these due to dexterity and that he will only wear jogging bottoms/t-shirts as he does not like the feel of other clothing such as jeans/trousers, plus the elasticated joggers are easier for him just to pull up.
  • MissKitty1973
    Options
    Forget to mention no have not had an assessment done yet. I am his appointee.
  • woollywonder
    woollywonder Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    Options

It sounds to me as though you have given some pretty detailed information which hopefully makes it clear that he does need prompting. Hope you get chance to go over it and clarify at the assessment x
  • MissKitty1973
    Options

It sounds to me as though you have given some pretty detailed information which hopefully makes it clear that he does need prompting. Hope you get chance to go over it and clarify at the assessment x

Many thanks for this. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.