Wrong payments? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Wrong payments?

Options
steve1571
steve1571 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
I claimed UC from ESA support group on the 17th of October.

I got a letter from esa today saying the following 

A CHANGE IN THE EMPLOYMENT AND SUPPORT
ALLOWANCE RATE PAYABLE
We have looked at your claim again following a recent change
We cannot pay you an allowance from 31 October 2023. This is
because:
You are required to claim Universal Credit.
You must tell the office that pays your benefit about any change in
your circumstances, and the circumstances of anyone included on
your claim, straight away.
If the information we hold is incorrect your payments may be
wrong. We may owe you money or you may need to pay us
money back. You also risk being prosecuted or having to pay
financial penalty.
For details about the changes you must report and how to report
them, please see the enclosed leaflet, visit
www.gov.uk/employment-support-allowance/change-of-circu
mstances or call the number at the top of this letter.

I thought there was transition payments to help. Is this right ? I received the last payment of esa yesterday of 153
(Couples claim, we both had sdp)

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2023
    Options
    The letter is correct because your ESA was all Income Related and this will have ended 2 weeks after you claimed UC. 

For anything else in the letter then just ignore it. It will be a standard letter. 

You will be entitled to some SDP transitional protection but this will be included in your UC payments and not paid from ESA. All explained in your other thread here https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/111122/uc-standard-identity-appointment-what-to-expect/p1

How much Transitional Protection you’re entitled to will depend on whether or not your partner claimed carers element of UC. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • steve1571
    steve1571 Community member Posts: 29 Connected
    Options
    The letter is correct because your ESA was all Income Related and this will have ended 2 weeks after you claimed UC. 

For anything else in the letter then just ignore it. It will be a standard letter. 

You will be entitled to some SDP transitional protection but this will be included in your UC payments and not paid from ESA. All explained in your other thread here https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/111122/uc-standard-identity-appointment-what-to-expect/p1

How much Transitional Protection you’re entitled to will depend on whether or not your partner claimed carers element of UC. 
    Thanks poppy. 

Is it just a case of my partner updating her journal to claim carers element or should this be an automatic thing ?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,395 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Carers element isn’t automatically paid. Your partner will need to report being your carer. They will need to report a change of circumstance and then click caring for someone and report it this way. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.