Pip backpay

Options
21252020 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
I had a review of my pips and now get a higher reward backdated from November 2022 when willi get back paymy new payment date is 8th November in 5 days but how long dose backpay take please

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,369 Championing
    Options
    I'm afraid you will need to contact PIP to ask if payment has been sent. Once it's sent then it takes 3-5 working days to go into your bank.
  • ibby1
    ibby1 Community member Posts: 28 Listener
    Options
    Hi poppy hope your well I have similarly been given the enhanced rate on daily living but I got backpay for a month my claim started in March 2020 that’s when I started getting pip from. However it was extended by a year. Recently I received a letter dated 15th November 2023 stated my claim had been extended to December 2024. A few days later I received the letter dated 20th November stating I had been awarded the enhanced rate on both. But only back payed from November 1st 2023 to November 29th 2023. Should I get backpay from March 2023 as it looks like the Supreme Court’s decision was taken in to consideration as previously my points for daily living were 11 and now they are 13. Please can you advise me as to what the best course of action is. Thankyou
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2023
    Options
    ibby1 said:
    Hi poppy hope your well I have similarly been given the enhanced rate on daily living but I got backpay for a month my claim started in March 2020 that’s when I started getting pip from. However it was extended by a year. Recently I received a letter dated 15th November 2023 stated my claim had been extended to December 2024. A few days later I received the letter dated 20th November stating I had been awarded the enhanced rate on both. But only back payed from November 1st 2023 to November 29th 2023. Should I get backpay from March 2023 as it looks like the Supreme Court’s decision was taken in to consideration as previously my points for daily living were 11 and now they are 13. Please can you advise me as to what the best course of action is. Thankyou

I'm ok, thanks for asking. I hope you are well too? This sounds like it was a normal review rather than anything related to the leap reviews for the change in descriptor. Was March 2023 when you returned the review form?

For normal reviews started by DWP before the long delays with review decisions if awarded a higher rate then it would start from the date the decision was made, not from an earlier date. Now because of the delays a decision maker will use their discretion to backdated to an earlier date. Some have received money owed and others haven't.
  • ibby1
    Options
    Sorry I made a mistake not March 2023 March 2020 lol. Sorry
  • ibby1
    Options
    Also poppy one last thing the q9 is the only points that changed in daily living from 2 points to 4
  • poppy123456
    Options
    As I advised if this was a normal review then any possible money that owed from 2020 will not be considered in this review. 

• ibby1
    Options
    Thankyou poppy but surely I can put in for an MR.
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2023
    Options
    ibby1 said:
    Thankyou poppy but surely I can put in for an MR.

You've already been awarded Enhanced for both parts this time. For the decision made on your previous award until DWP look at that decision again with the "leap review" then you can't request the MR because you're out of time for that. More details here. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/news/2020/september/dwp-launches-case-trawl-review-exercise-identify-pip-claimants-owed-benefit

Edit to add, you can contact PIP to ask them about the leap review regarding social support. I don't know if there's a different number to ring for the leap review team but i can't find anything to suggest there is. The only thing to be aware of is that when ringing PIP you're talking to someone from a call centre who may not have any knowledge of the leap reviews.

• ibby1
    Options
    Thankyou very much
  • ibby1
    Options
    Hi poppy hope you are well and thankyou so much for your help. If I get the lcwra with my Uc and my decision is based on the court judgement MM taking my points from 11 to 13 on the daily living due to question 9. Should I ask for the backpay from the beginning of my claim?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    For daily living PIP they will review the claim from the start, which i believe you said 2020? I don't understand the relevance with LCWRA here though because they are 2 different benefits.
  • ibby1
    Options
    Thankyou Poppy I don’t really know the relevance of the lcwra myself that’s why I asked as I wasn’t sure but thanks for pointing out its not relevant. On the plus side I spoke to payments team and they said they will call me bk within 48hrs to let me know when I will be paid. Thankyou so much. Have a great day. Your Awesome.
  • ibby1
    Options
    So in your experience poppy would you say I would get a call on Monday telling me what I am owed and when I will be paid?

thankyou
  • poppy123456
    Options
    ibby1 said:
    So in your experience poppy would you say I would get a call on Monday telling me what I am owed and when I will be paid?

thankyou

Haven't you received what is owed from 1st to 29th November yet? It's unlikely the payments team will call about the Upper Tribunal ruling because no decision has been made on that yet. They can't pay you anything related to that from 2020 until a decision is made.
  • ibby1
    Options
    Hi Poppy they have paid from the 1st to the 29th and when I called them they said they will get back to me within 48hrs about when I will receive my packpay from 2020. I called on Friday so hopefully tomorrow. Will keep you posted and thankyou
  • poppy123456
    Options
    That’s very strange because the review team will need to look at your claim first before anything can be paid. Will be very interested to know what they say if they ring you. 
  • ibby1
    Options
    Hi poppy they basically said they have awarded me the same as before but I’m on enhanced daily living and they only gave me standard rate. Shall I put in for a MR regarding the backpay ???
  • ibby1
    Options
    Also I missed a call from them today.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    ibby1 said:
    Hi poppy they basically said they have awarded me the same as before but I’m on enhanced daily living and they only gave me standard rate. Shall I put in for a MR regarding the backpay ???
    As I advised this review will have nothing to do with your previous award. You can’t ask for an MR for that award because you’re now outside of  the maximum timescale of 13 months. 

You need to wait for the review team to contact you. Please have a read of the links I posted above, it tells you this in there. 
  • ibby1
    Options
    Ok thankyou