Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Refused PIP because I work

Options
RyH007
RyH007 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
Hi,

I was recently refused PIP,  which was for my mental health (diagnosed severe depression with psychotic episodes).   I do struggle like a ****.  I also have Asperger's.

But one of the main things was that it is noted that I work and that contradicts my form.  Such as my concentration,  able to communicate etc etc.

I don't understand it.  I struggle all the time in and out of work.  And a person who takes a fn phone call for an hour can tell me how I'm OK.  

It's Like me asking you what u had for dinner.  Say it was a fry.  Then telling you that it can't be because u only had soad bacon egg sausages.  There were no pudding and beans with it.

Feel like they know how I live my life better than I do.   Even journeys section.  My wife plans journeys and takes me from a to B.  Got no points for that.   
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,031 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @RyH007 hi and welcome to scope, if working contradicts your application for PIP it can make it difficult however the next step is to seek a mandatory reconsideration (MR) where you can say where you think you should have scored points but didn't and why, around 28% of MR's succeed, if not then you will have to appeal.  Good luck and if we can be of further help just ask.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• RyH007
    RyH007 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
  • woollywonder
    woollywonder Community member Posts: 47 Courageous
    Options
    RyH007 said:
    Thank you 

@RyH007 if you can, think about any adjustments you need or have at work due to your difficulties. If you have an employer who would be prepared to write and explain how you struggle and whether they make any 'allowances' for this, then that might help if you were to send it with your reconsideration request. My son is ASD and worked/went to uni but he was able to get PIP because we could prove the adjustments that were made via his Uni support plan and a letter from his employer detailing how they reduced social demands by emailing all tasks, allowed him to wear earphones to block distractions, let him speak with just one mentor who would then speak with other team members, allowing him regular movement breaks to regulate himself etc.  
    It might help. Otherwise, explain how your difficulties impact your job, does this cause you problems at work? Does navigating work leave you exhausted and unable to complete other activities? Do you take longer  to complete your work.....

Being able to communicate at work shouldn't impact your chance to score on 'mixing with others' because I'm pretty sure this section relates to ALL types of face to face mixing. If you misread, misunderstand or are misread/understood yourself because of autism, explain this. see also a para fom the PIP assessor guidelines - 

"When considering whether claimants can engage with others, consideration should be given to whether they can engage with people generally, not just those people they know well."

So can you argue that you know your workmates well? Does your ability to mix with them translate to all other situations where you need to mix with others?

Just some things to consider, I hope it helps

• ComeAlongPond
    ComeAlongPond Community member Posts: 15 Connected
    Options

I hate that the PIP process does this to people, particularly surrounding the issue of a mental health. Their suggestion that you shouldn’t be able to work because you have a disability feels a bit discriminatory. I doubt they would say the same thing to a person who uses a wheelchair? Have a look at the legislation in the Equality Act to see which, if any, of the protected characteristics apply to you.

PIP isn’t meant to be a benefit that replaces or supplements a wage like Universal Credit does. It’s not means tested. And just because you can go to work, it doesn’t mean that you don’t face issues on the way or when you get there. Also, if your employer isn’t currently making the reasonable adjustments that you need, you can approach them and ask them to. Then ask then ask them for a letter of confirmation that they have done this.

I have AuDHD and (among other things) I use my PIP for taking a taxi or an (expensive) train journey when I am unable to face a drive, so it actually helps me to work. Where possible, I treat my conditions as a superpower and my differences actually provide ideas and solutions that people without my conditions don’t always consider. It isn’t always positive like like that of course.

I would get an Advocate from somewhere like (CAB) (MIND) (RETHINK) and go for mandatory reconsideration as suggested.  Find someone who knows legislation, it helps so much.

Good Luck  :)

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.