Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Hi, my name is haras321! Need advice and I am curious about PIP.

Options
haras321
haras321 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited November 2023 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hello
I was hoping for some advice please? I am 51 and have struggled for years with my mental health.  I have always felt like a square peg in a round hole.  I loathe social situations, become extremely stressed in loud and crowded areas but the main one is not understanding. I cannot process information. I hide it well and had a career in the NHS but it was a daily struggle.  I'm educated but school was a struggle. I have not worked now for 20 years. I felt safe being at home as a stay at home mum but now I need to find work.  I had one interview last week and had to leave. I couldn't breathe and ended up having a panic attack with the interviewer.  It was devastating. I know I'm not fit for work but financially I'm struggling.  I am curious about pip.  My GP thinks I may be autistic but the wait for an assessment is up to 3 years.  I began feeling relief at the suggestion of autism as it would be an end to decades of not fitting in in this world but when I heard of the 3 year wait I sank again. I cope. To the outside world I cope because I have to. I have 3 daughters.  The only one to see the real me has been my fantastic GP.  I go to the shops to buy food because I have to , inside I want to scream, I cannot give eye contact.  I go to parents evenings but as soon as the last appointment is over I literally run to leave. I avoid collecting my medication from the chemist as its so busy, I don't understand my pension details , financial concerns baffle me etc.  Would I be able to apply for PIP without a referral to date or a diagnosis?  
My 17 year old is my double in every way.  She has recently been referred for assessment and the way she describes how she feels in the world is the exact same as the way I feel.  I wish I had thought of this years ago. It would explain so much and maybe living wouldn't be so painful.
I feel very lost at the moment and desperate so please any advice would be great.
Thank you for listening.

Comments

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.