Got my WCA next week - how not to fail? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Got my WCA next week - how not to fail?

Options
Commanded2bwell
Commanded2bwell Community member Posts: 79 Courageous
Hello. I've just had the letter confirming my WCA is on for next week. It's to be a phone call. I asked my work coach about that, wondering why as I thought the phone assessments had been a Covid thing, and she said that if I had a physical condition that was obvious to the casual observer they would have asked to see me in person, but as it's a mental/neurological condition, they're happy to do it over the phone.

This raised more questions... but I let it go. There's no point arguing the philosophy and ethics of policy decisions with the employees.

Anyway, I fully expect to fail and have to go to MR. This appears to be what happens when you apply based on something like autism. Or am I being too cynical, and/or reading the feedback of cynical people? 

Of course, if possible, I would prefer to get through it first time! So I wondered if anyone had any advice or pearls of wisdom they had earned from their own experience? Any potential traps or mistakes to avoid? It's all a tick box exercise, I know, so how do I answer in a way that helps the assessor to tick the correct boxes?

Cheers

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,375 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It’s not just mental health conditions that have telephone assessments. The majority of assessments are by telephone, some are still face to face or video call. 

If you prefer face to face then you can change it to this. You will need to contact the Health Assessment Advisory Service for this. 

The majority of people are found to have LCWRA believe it or not. The stats say 65% are found to have LCWRA, 19% with LCW and 16% are found fit for work. You can see all the stats here https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/universal-credit-work-capability-assessment-april-2019-to-march-2023/universal-credit-work-capability-assessments-april-2019-to-march-2023

The best advice I can give is not to answer any questions with just a yes or no and try to give as much detail as possible. The assessment can last anywhere from 20 to 120 minuets, sometimes longer. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Many people (myself) included have found telephone assessments easier, if they are calling your mobile make sure its fully charged, have a glass of water to hand and have a good read up about what they are looking for.
    Remember its mainly people who fail assessments who take to the internet the majority pass and have no cause for complaint.
    Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Commanded2bwell
    Options
    Wow, Poppy, those stats are quite impressive.

Woodbine, you make an excellent point. I had not accounted for bias.

Cheers, guys.
  • Commanded2bwell
    Options
    Well, paint me yellow and call me Daffy, because today I got a letter saying I'm LCWRA. I scarcely believed it, being cynical and pessimistic, like I am! ;)
    That's barely two weeks!
    And the bonus is that, thanks to this lightning fast result, I now won't have any problems starting my postgraduate study in the New Year, because as a disabled student who also gets PIP, I get an exemption that allows me to continue claiming UC. I was stressing a bit over whether I'd get the results of the assessment before the course started, so it's been a double relief!
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,105 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Very pleased indeed to read your good news :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.