PIP, LCWRA and working — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP, LCWRA and working

Options
ek333
ek333 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited November 2023 in Universal Credit (UC)
Does anyone on enhanced PIP, who automatically was awarded LWRCA through their UC, and now also works (part time or full?) was your LCWRA affected?

Apparently it isnt meant to be affected but I need someone with the same circumstace to tell me if theirs was effected or not?

I am on higher rate pip which also has personally emant i am not able to work for amny years now in any physical capacity. However remote work is more common and flexible and there are some jobs i can apply for. However even though PIP isnt means tested, what will happen to my LCWRA that i get via Universal Credit?

i was automatically given LCWRA by UC after my pip went through and in the system it turns out that you automaticaaly fit the LCWRA criteria if yuo recieve higher rate PIP.

will working remotely part time (or even full time) effect my LCWRA component WHILST i am in reciept of enhanced PIP award.

if it is possible that people with actual personal experience with this can let me know.
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    ek333 said:

i was automatically given LCWRA by UC after my pip went through and in the system it turns out that you automaticaaly fit the LCWRA criteria if yuo recieve higher rate PIP.

That's not correct for working age people, i'm afraid. It only applies to those of state pension age and above, when claiming UC with a younger partner that is under state pension age. (known as a mixed aged couple) See link. https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/637f9c3de90e072347c51913/admg3.pdf

Claimant disabled and over State Pension Credit age G3030
    G3030 A claimant is treated as having LCWRA where1 they
    1. have reached the qualifying age for SPC2 (see DMG Chapter 77) and
    2. are entitled to
    2.1 AA3
    2.2 the highest rate care component of DLA4or
    2.3 the enhanced rate daily living component of PIP

To answer your question, there are people that work and continue with LCWRA without any issues. There's no maximum amount of hours you can work while claiming UC.

You will have the work allowance which means a certain amount of earnings you receive each month will be ignored before the 55% deductions apply. If you claim for help with the rent it will be £379/month, if you don't it will be £631/month.

If you start working you must report the changes on your journal and tell them you're working.

Do be aware that if the work you do contradicts the reasons why you were found to have LCWRA then it could go against you at your next review.

It would be very difficult to compare someone else to yourself because everyone is affected differently by these conditions.

For your PIP, it's not means tested so working doesn't affect it. However, the same applies to this as it does with LCWRA. If the work you do contradicts the reasons why you're claiming PIP then it may go against you at your next review.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • ek333
    ek333 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    yes, as im on enhanced pip. i was number 6 on that list you have provided, i qualified but didnt need to do anything (i did not apply or have any meeting) it was automatically provided to me through UC as I was on UC prior to my PIP being accepted.

I suppose the above applies to those who are not yet in reciept of UC and decide to apply for it after theyve been accepted for PIP.

Remote working from home jobs are in line with my disabilities.

Are you / anyone able to elabrorate on the 55% deduction? what is dedcuted? does it effect the housing element?

are the number of hours of work related to a threshold?

Some vulnerab;le adults i used to work with were able to work less than 20 hours a week without their PIP and UC being affected. is this the threshold?

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Then you must be 66 or over (state pension age) and be claiming UC with a younger partner. As that’s the only ones that automatically qualify for LCWRA with Enhanced daily living PIP. 

If you’re not state pension age then you may have qualified automatically either because of end of life treatment with 12 months left to live. Or because you’re either going through treatment for cancer or expecting to have treatment in the next 6 months. See link https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/limited-capability-for-work-related-activity

Sorry for going over this again but i don't want other members seeing this and thinking that an Enhanced PIP award automatically qualifies them for LCWRA because that's not correct for those of working age.

ek333 said:

I suppose the above applies to those who are not yet in reciept of UC and decide to apply for it after theyve been accepted for PIP.

No, that's not correct, see my above explanation.

ek333 said:

Are you / anyone able to elabrorate on the 55% deduction? what is dedcuted? does it effect the housing element?

As you're claiming for help with the rent then your work allowance will be £379/month. Any earnings you receive each month over this amount will reduce your whole UC by 55%, this means for every £1 you earn over £379/month your UC will reduce by 55p.
    ek333 said:

are the number of hours of work related to a threshold?

No, as i advised, there's no maximum amount of hours you can work while claiming UC.

ek333 said:

Some vulnerab;le adults i used to work with were able to work less than 20 hours a week without their PIP and UC being affected. is this the threshold?

PIP isn't affect by earnings because it's not means tested. There are some people claiming UC that don't claim for help with any rent so their work allowance will be more... £631/month before any deductions apply for earnings. You mentioned claiming housing element, so the lower work allowance will apply to you. 
    20 hours per week at national minimum wage for aged 23 and over would see some deductions in their UC, even with the higher work allowance.

The threshold for you for earnings as you're claiming help with your rent is £379/month before your UC will be reduced.

See link for details of work allowance. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/universal-credit-and-earnings

Working from home, will you be self employed?

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.