Can I use my tax returns as proof of income for a mortgage? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I use my tax returns as proof of income for a mortgage?

john951159
john951159 Community member Posts: 3 Listener
edited November 2023 in Coffee lounge
 Can I use my tax returns as proof of income for a mortgage?

Comments

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    It shouldn't be a problem if you are self-employed, though every bank will have a different lending criteria.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,329 Disability Gamechanger
    I would suggest not as most lenders see pay slips as proof you are working, a tax return isn't proof of "earned" income as an example I get a P60 for my ESA income
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• MW123
    MW123 Scope Member Posts: 363 Pioneering

@john951159

For self-employed individuals, lenders evaluate the ability to repay a mortgage by scrutinising documents like tax returns and supporting materials, providing a glimpse into income over a specific period.  A standard expectation from mortgage lenders involves submitting certified accounts covering one to three years, demonstrating a consistent and dependable income history.

Many lenders recognise the unique financial circumstances of self-employed individuals and have flexible criteria to accommodate them.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.