Extreme benefit worries - Help please — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Extreme benefit worries - Help please

Options
ellie_rsg
ellie_rsg Community member Posts: 25 Connected
Hello. It's a long time since i have posted here. But i need serious help i'm at loss now. I'm 24/7 in a CONSTANT state of paranoia and severe anxiety over the future. Worries of my money stopping, worries of being homeless, worries of going to jail... list goes on. I'm on UC LCWRA and PIP and im a very good person. i have never been in trouble and i never want to. however with all the recent news about the DWP i have been so terrified to even spend my money now! I'm constantly worrying i'm going to get flagged up over every little thing. Is there things i'm not allowed to buy? I'm allowed to buy things i like such as merchandise and other fun things included in my hobbies? I live at home with my parents and the only bill im currently paying is broadband and some money for them. Leaving me with a good chunck left. Im too scared to save. Too scared to spend it. Too scared to leave it. I dont know what to do. Im terrified and i just know this is one of the reason im on these benefits to begin with. my anxiety is just through the roof. I can't live.. and these benefits are supposed to help me live.. but it's hard when i feel like a criminal for just trying to survive. is there someone who knows more about this than me who could reassure me. im terrified im going to get flagged up. feel like i can't do anything.. its like a lose lose situation for me. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,391 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’m sorry to hear this is causing you so much more anxiety. There’s no restrictions on what you can and can’t spend your money on, you can buy anything you want to. 

I claim benefits too and recently booked my holiday for next year, abroad with my daughter. 

Yes, the media and everything else has scared a lot of people. 

I hope I’ve been able to help a little and you will now be able to relax a little more. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @ellie_rsg, I'm really sorry you're feeling so anxious about the benefit situation at the moment. The media are bringing up a lot of stories that can be really frightening, especially if you already struggle with anxiety to begin with.

I know this might not make it any less worrying, but currently nothing that's being discussed has been confirmed, and many of the plans currently in the news will only affect people on standard UC, not people with health issues on LCW or LCWRA. Of course, the Scope team will be here to keep everyone informed and supported should we hear anything more over the next few weeks and months, but I hope that helps a little bit.

And as Poppy said above, you are free to spend your money on anything that you wish to, whether it's essential or just brings you a bit of joy. The money is there to help you live your life, and things that make you feel happier are part of that :)

It's easier said than done, but perhaps it might be a good idea to stay away from reading or watching things about benefits for a while to take your mind off things. Maybe you could talk through your worries with your parents or any other trusted friends and family too.

I hope you're feeling less anxious about things soon! Let me know if you have any more questions, we're always here if you need to chat.
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • KrisCaswell
    KrisCaswell Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Thanks for answering, I appreciate you.
  • ellie_rsg
    Options
    thank you both so much. really.. thank you
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,669 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You can spend your money how you like, it is your choice what you buy and you really mustn't worry about it.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• ellie_rsg
    Options
    how about when they are asking for statements? ive hered people say about them being asked what really specific things were such as like what did they buy on amazon? etc
  • poppy123456
    Options
    They may ask for statements if it's a review of your UC. If you've had savings above the limit and your savings drop below that limit then they may ask what you did with the money. Savings of less than £6,000 are ignored.

Money from your benefits it not classed as capital until the end of the period it's paid for. What you spend your money on is entirely your decision.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Rosie_Scope
    Rosie_Scope Posts: 2,280 Scope online community team
    Options
    It's also worth remembering that with online communities and social media posts, you will often see negative situations talked about more than positive or neutral situations. This makes it look like certain things like bank checks or reviews are happening to lots of people constantly, but it isn't always the case. People are just more likely to come on and ask for help with difficult or complicated situations than they are to make posts about everything going fine. 

And of course, if anything ever does happen that you find worrying, our community is so helpful you'd have all kinds of lovely members here to support you through :)
    Rosie (she/her)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • ellie_rsg
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Thank you so much both. im sorry to ask but i looked everywhere what 'capital' is and i cant seem to understand what it means and how it effects me and what does 'end of period its paid for' mean
  • poppy123456
    Options
    ellie_rsg said:
    Thank you so much both. im sorry to ask but i looked everywhere what 'capital' is and i cant seem to understand what it means and how it effects me and what does 'end of period its paid for' mean

Capital is savings or property that you may own but don't live in. "end of period" for UC what counts is what savings/capital you have on the last day of your assessment period. When you receive your UC payment it's not counted as capital until the end of your next assessment period.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.