Article in the Guardian talking about how the DWP uses AI re benefit claims — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Article in the Guardian talking about how the DWP uses AI re benefit claims

Comments

• noman
    noman Community member Posts: 415 Pioneering
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 52,085 Disability Gamechanger
    Not another thread. Sorry but we've had so many of these in the past week or so. This doesn't say anything different to what we've heard before.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • IMStruggling
    IMStruggling Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    Not another thread. Sorry but we've had so many of these in the past week or so. This doesn't say anything different to what we've heard before.

I can't see any other threads on here about the DWP's use of AI.  Can you post links to some of these threads so that I can have a read please?  You are the Admin of this forum, correct?
  • Albus_Scope
    Albus_Scope Posts: 2,807 Scope online community team
    No @IMStruggling Poppy is just a very helpful regular. You'd be looking for any member with "_scope" in their name if you need a moderator. :)

The main thread is pinned to the top of the page, but is here if you want to read.

But you're correct, I've not seen any threads relating to the govs use of AI.  Slightly worrying they're trusting tech that's not fully trusted yet.  But it would explain why they want to funnel more money into AI R&D.
    Albus (he/him)

Online Community Coordinator @ Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.
    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Opinions expressed are solely my own.
    Neurodivergent.
  • Lottie1732
    Lottie1732 Community member Posts: 124 Pioneering
    In my dealings with DWP (PIP and UC) I did feel that what they said and what they did was absolutely inhuman, soulless and ridiculous. (and the posts on this forum from many users bear this out).  If it was managed by machine learning then to be honest, I'm not surprised. AI is never going to care and I don't believe it can ever care or have any empathy, only mimic it. 
  • IMStruggling
    IMStruggling Community member Posts: 26 Connected
    No @IMStruggling Poppy is just a very helpful regular. You'd be looking for any member with "_scope" in their name if you need a moderator. :)

The main thread is pinned to the top of the page, but is here if you want to read.

But you're correct, I've not seen any threads relating to the govs use of AI.  Slightly worrying they're trusting tech that's not fully trusted yet.  But it would explain why they want to funnel more money into AI R&D.

Thanks @alb@Albus_Scope -- I found the article relevant which is why I decided to share it.  One thing I  noticed is there's a chart there showing the AI process and how when someone scores high for "suspected fraud" they pause their claim.  I've read about numerous people suddenly having their claim stopped like this even though they've done nothing wrong and their claim is legitimate. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.